PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake Assembly - replaced air filter

A2COOPERS
07-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I just replaced my own air filter since I didn\'t want to wait until Inspection II. I\'ve got 67K km and still have 6500 KM to go until my next oil service. Seems like my computers intervals for oil service is rougly 28K km, does this sound normal? I drive my car mostly on weekends I don\'t drive it on a daily basis.

When I took the original air filter out it was completely black. I looked at the air intake assembly from the site www.realoem.com and found that there is this rubber boot (item # 6 go behind item #1). I noticed that there was a round hole on the back of the air intake bottom assembly (item #1) that looked like the rubber boot should go but was not clear in the diagram, if it\'s supposed to be there then it\'s been missing from my car since I had it new. Click on the link below to take you directly to the air intake assembly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=RE33&mospid=48021&hg=13&fg=20

Anthony

2005 mini cooper S

BANZAI
07-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Because synthetic oil lasts longer, (takes longer to break down)the Mini manual says that the service interval for oil changes (plus other checks, including the intake filter) is 25,000km depending on how you drive the car.

Most of us on here believe that it would be in the engine\'s interest not to leave it this long. Some change the oil every 5000km regardless, some @ 10000km. Personally, I do the oil change every 10,000km and clean the intake filter in the fall and in the spring (aftermarket cleanable filter element).

The thing is, don\'t zero the service counter unless you are doing the complete service or you are still under warranty. This ensures that recommended servicings are still done as required.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Karateman
07-13-2008, 01:45 PM
The rubber boot as u had called it (item 6) is required for the lower half of ur airbox. It acts like a funnel to direct air into ur airbox via the cowl partition. It also helps keep dirt from entering your airbox from the engine compartment side and it helps isolate hot air from ur engine from getting in. Hot air robs power. I would get one and install it if I were you.

A2COOPERS
07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply

If this rubber boot was never there when the car was assembled at the factory could there have been any excessive wear to the engine if it was not getting the proper air flow?

Anthony

Karateman
07-13-2008, 09:46 PM
You wouldn\'t be causing any issues with ur car\'s engine and if it were, the CEL lite would have come up by now. Some guys actually try making a cheap CAI w/ the OEM airbox by drilling additional holes into the lower half of the airbox. So no worries. Just get the new rubber inlet for it or switch it out completely for a CAI system.

A2COOPERS
07-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The part must have been missed at the factory. I did a quick test after coming home from somewhere, half hour drive, I opened up the hood, reached in behind the cowl aread and could actually feel warm air go in the lower half of the airbox. I\'m definately going to call the dealer and let them know this part must have been missing from the car since it rolled off the assembly line.

Cheers

Anthony

A2COOPERS
08-06-2008, 03:04 AM
I got the rubber boot installed by the dealer. They couldn\'t understand why it was missing. Perhaps it was never there to begin with.

They covered it under warranty

Cheers