PDA

View Full Version : Humming noise when stopped

mikimini
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I just got my 2004 Mini Cooper and not know how it sounds I was wondering if I can get some comments from you. When I\'m stopped sometimes the rpm will go from 500 to 1000 and I will hear a deep hum. My car is standard and I haven\'t driven a standard in about 10 years, maybe it\'s that? :)

kyriian
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
MCS or MC? it looks to be an MC from your picture

I am not as sure if the MC suffers from the rough idle problems as the MCS, but that might be your culprit... mine does it on regular basis, and I\'ve yet to find a way to stop it except give it a few bleeps of throttle to stablize things...

im sure others will comment as they see it! :)

*was gonna say it in your other thread, but welcome to the club!*
-Herman

mikimini
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome Herman.

It is a MC, I think I find it does it more with the A/C on too.

supercuper
07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Your pic is an S so it is probably the rough idle as Herman said. Mine does it from time to time.

Alex:lol:

mikimini
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Alex,
It\'s a MC but it has the MCS exterior package on it, I think. I know it doesn\'t have the MCS engine.

supercuper
07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh, my bad. Sorry. Nice looking MINI though. A humming noise, could it be the power steering?

Alex:lol:

mikimini
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
It kind of vibrates when it makes the noice and the rpms go from 500- 100 and then down again.

supercuper
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I recall having a similar problem with an \'03 MCS I had before this one. I believe that I got some kind of update to my ecu which helped the idling and cold start problem a little. I could be wrong but you may want to check with the dealership.

Alex

wee ride
07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
I have an 04 MCS and it suffers from that rough idle every now and then, I wouldn\'t describe it as a hum though. I have noticed the fan kick in when at idle which makes a hum noise... Just a thought.

Welcome to the club!

Rorie
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I find the Mini has a hum, same as a BMW does. Some cars you do not hear a thing when they idle. My Mini also has this very deep humming when it idles. It\'s a hum, there is no vibration, no power loss.

But the other comment about the power steering fan is not a bad idea. Because the fan is so low to the ground, and I think at best they put a plastic guard on them. This guard did not start to get put on them til at least 2004, maybe 2005.

My Mini has 10,000 miles, yet the fan had to be replaced (thankfully under warranty).

Cobalt sells a guard, check out Coopersport. They probably have it. I\'d put it on even if your fan is fine. All you need is leaves, rocks, something to muck up the fan, the steering pump fries, and you are out $500 to $700.

mikimini
07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the advise Rorie, I will look into the guard.

mblotto
07-25-2008, 01:16 AM
My guess is that this is happening because of your A/C. The compressor is kicking on/off, which explains the drop in RPM and likely explains the noise as well. Shut it off for a while next time you\'re out and see if you notice a difference.
I\'ve had experience with a decent number of cars and never noticed one be so adversely affected by A/C as the Mini.

mikimini
07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
I haven\'t noticed it when the A/C is off very much, but when I turn the car off the fan keeps going sometimes for a long time like 3-5 minutes. Is that normal?

Thanks

wee ride
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
The fan CAN continue to run, but in all honesty mine never has... I wonder if maybe your thermostat is shot? Maybe the engine is having a hard time keeping cool thats why the fan keeps running well after the car is shut off.... Just a thought.
I used to know a fair bit about cars... but with all the electronics and computers now.... they\'re a bit of a mystery.

wee ride
07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
oops forgot to mention...
I don\'t think the fan coming on would cause a drop in rpm... The a/c compressor kicking in will do that.

mikimini
07-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Wee, the fan stays on after I turn off the car.

wee ride
07-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah that can happen. Every car I\'ve ever worked on usually has a warning sticker on the top of the rad/fan that says the fan can come on at any time, even if you\'ve shut the engine off.

MAy not be a bad idea to just call a dealer to ask about it. Actually a better idea may be to ask one of the somc members \"MINI_VaughnWest\" (I think that\'s his name) his real name is Jason, and I\'ve spoken to him a couple times. He\'s really good. He\'s one of the service guys at that dealership. He\'s on SOMC failry often. If you look in the Vendor announcements Forum, you\'ll find him.

Keith

lilcoopr
07-27-2008, 04:12 PM
mikimini wrote:

I haven\'t noticed it when the A/C is off very much, but when I turn the car off the fan keeps going sometimes for a long time like 3-5 minutes. Is that normal?

Thanks

Mine does this too (as everyone at the meet last night is well aware:P). I`ll have it looked at on Tuesday and let you know what happens.

By the way, I have a 2006 Cooper S. What about you?

Karateman
07-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Actually mine did the same last nite after I got home. It ran for about 3 mins. and turned off on it\'s own.

clark17
07-28-2008, 12:18 AM
mblotto wrote:

I\'ve had experience with a decent number of cars and never noticed one be so adversely affected by A/C as the Mini.

This might explain my problem. My 03 MINI S losses alot of power off the line when my A/C is on. It almost feels like it\'s going to stall. I actually have to hold the clutch in alittle longer so that I can get going. Is this a normal thing for MINI S.

Thanks

wee ride
07-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Yep, completely normal. Being a 1.6 litre engine, they suffer from a lack of torque at low rpms... turn the a/c on and it robs what little low-end torque the car does have.