PDA

View Full Version : Q: What spark plugs do you run in your R53?



Woobn8r
08-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Manufacturer?
Code?

**If you have a pulley did you change the heat range on the plugs?

Enquiring minds want to know.....:laugh:

kyriian
08-13-2008, 07:14 PM
NGK BKR7EIX for pullied, BKR6EIX for non-pullied cars

though for proper gap i have to go home to check the package again

-Herman

Woobn8r
08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Herman,

NGK lists 3 plugs for the MINI...

The BKR6EIX is an \"iridium\" plug which is the latest hi-tech metal electrode from NGK it has one (1) tip...$21.00 a piece.

The BKR6EQD is the \"reccomended\" plug for stock applications...a platinum plug with four (4) tips...hence the Quad designation. $20.00 each.

The BKR6EGP is also platinum plug but, only has one (1) tip...just like the new tech plug....hmmmmm $8.75 a plug.

Iridium is supposed to have a sustained spark which translates into a more complete burn...and maintain long life.

Platinum is designed to extend plug life while maintaining spark intensity

Quad electrode tips are designed for reliability.

S.

imnothng
08-16-2008, 04:09 AM
I just put the NGK Iridium plugs in mine, got them at crappy tire for 19.99 per 2.

imnothng
08-16-2008, 04:10 AM
I just put the NGK Iridium plugs in mine, got them at crappy tire for 19.99 per 2.

BANZAI
08-16-2008, 11:40 AM
NGK BKR7EIX for me .... My pulley is 15%

kyriian
08-16-2008, 01:22 PM
if you want alternatives, Denso offers IK20 and IK22 for the mini as well, IK20 for stock cars, IK22 for pullied cars

-Herman

clayton
08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Did we ever figure out the gap? Mini Mania says .035\" - they seem to come gapped at about .025\". Just bought a set of NGK BKR7EIX at Performance improvements on the Queensway (toronto) - about $11/each. Couldn\'t find them at CT.

Xiek
08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
they should come pre-gapped.. are those the double platinum ones?

Mitchell repair guide BKR6EQUP \"gap is not adjustable\" and gives no specs. but should be torqed to 20 ft/lbs (27 Nm)

clayton
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
No, they\'re the IX Iridium ones. It does say in my manual as well that the 6\'s come pre-gapped. I bought the 7\'s \'cause of my pulley and found this:

http://new.minimania.com/web/item/NME3011/AddedFrom/gSearch/InvDetail.cfm

from Mini Mania which suggests a .035 gap.

Does anyone have contrary info?

MINI_Georgian
08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
DO NOT TRY TO ADJUST THE GAP OF IRIDIUM PLUGS!

Consider them pre-gapped. You\'ll cause irrepairable damage to the ultra-fine electrode of an Iridium plug if you try to adjust them.

See here...

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/qa/iridium/qa_22.html

Cheers,
Jason.

clayton
08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Jason - I do have a proper gapper that doesn\'t go near the Iridium tip.

Here is what I have from the NGK Website:

3. Gapping

... While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/installation/index.asp?mode=nml

The issue I guess is that they come gapped at .020 - .025 (all 4 were not exactly the same) and most things I have seen suggest .035 to .044.

MINI_Georgian
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
That\'s cool. If you have the proper tool and you\'re comfortable with it then go for it. I just remembered from selling the Densos (they have a smaller 0.4mm electrode) that they advised against it.

Cheers,
Jason.

wee ride
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I just installed NGK Iridiium IX and on the package it says NOT to gap them.

keith

clayton
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Strange, yet on NGK\'s part lookup it brings back:

NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited
Part Finder Search Results

Vehicle: 2002 MINI COOPER S / L4 / 1.6 / W11

NGK Spark Plugs

G-Power
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EGP 7092 0.045

Iridium IX
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EIX 6418 0.045

Laser Platinum/Iridium
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EQUP 3199 0.045


Search Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2008.

2006 NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited


Keith, did you measure the gap before installing?

wee ride
08-20-2008, 03:52 PM
No I didn\'t measure the gap. I was going to until I read the warning that said the centre electrode is so fragile, and not to touch it.
Weird.

Xiek
08-21-2008, 02:40 AM
clayton wrote:

Hi Jason - I do have a proper gapper that doesn\'t go near the Iridium tip.

Here is what I have from the NGK Website:

3. Gapping

... While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/installation/index.asp?mode=nml

The issue I guess is that they come gapped at .020 - .025 (all 4 were not exactly the same) and most things I have seen suggest .035 to .044.clayton wrote:

Strange, yet on NGK\'s part lookup it brings back:

NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited
Part Finder Search Results

Vehicle: 2002 MINI COOPER S / L4 / 1.6 / W11

NGK Spark Plugs

G-Power
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EGP 7092 0.045

Iridium IX
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EIX 6418 0.045

Laser Platinum/Iridium
Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Note
BKR6EQUP 3199 0.045


Search Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2008.

2006 NGK Spark Plugs Canada Limited


Keith, did you measure the gap before installing?

That looks like conflicting information.. one says Dont\' Gap, and one says that they don\'t come pre-gapped?????

clayton
08-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Hi... No, both these say to gap - and both are from the NGK site. The first says that

\"it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for..\"

and the next section suggests .045 as a gap, when the new plugs I got were definitely gapped around .025. Wow... I am sorry to have started such a long thread, but I just wanted to get to the bottom of it :-)

I am going to install the plus with a .035 gap tomorrow morning... we\'ll see!

Xiek
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry you are right... I copied the wrong quote.. someone else\'s msg said that the box said NOT TO GAP... what does your box say? as the plugs that you bought, I don\'t think are on that list... correct me if I am wrong again...

Woobn8r
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
clayton wrote:

Wow... I am sorry to have started such a long thread

Gee, I thought I started this thread:laugh:

It\'s a good discussion, and although most people post this kind of stuff over on NAM it\'s always good to be local!

clayton
08-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Sorry, you did start it :-) I meant that I was making it long :-) My plugs came with no instructions, I go them at Performance Improvements so they come individually, in NGK cardboard boxes - not the blister packs from CT - hence my confusion!