PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

LiquidKarma
08-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok now that the power steering is fix!!

I need to the brakes

I have a R50 (2002)

Where are the best deals on roters and pads?

oh and Ill be doing the work myself
(so what do I need to know)

Jay

supercuper
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
PM markertoo (Peter) about the pads, he sells Hawk HPS at a great price. Not sure about rotors.

Alex:lol:

wee ride
08-28-2008, 01:32 PM
One thing I have read numerous times is that the retaining bolt holding the rotors on, is a pain in the butt to remove. I have to do my front brakes soon, so I\'m going to soak the retaining bolt a couple days before with Liquid Wrench.

Keith

Jack07734
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
wee ride wrote:

One thing I have read numerous times is that the retaining bolt holding the rotors on, is a pain in the butt to remove. I have to do my front brakes soon, so I\'m going to soak the retaining bolt a couple days before with Liquid Wrench.

Keith

I spoke to a MINI tech about this and he told me that heat and a impact screwdriver was the best solution to removing the bolt.

I have yet to try that.

If you break the head off the bolt it is no biggie it just make putting on a tire a bit of a pain.

Jack

Jack07734
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
one other thing. You need a special tool to compress the rear caliper.

You need to turn it as you press it in.

The cheapie cube adaptor does not fit the holes.

There is a kit at Harbor Freight that will fit it. I think Princess Auto sells the same thing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40732

Jack

LiquidKarma
08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks for the replys

what about coopersport?
any good deals from them ?

Jay

lilcoopr
08-29-2008, 03:55 AM
LiquidKarma wrote:

thanks for the replys

what about coopersport?
any good deals from them ?

Jay

Coopersport is pretty great and they have an awesome selection of OEM (cheaper than the dealer) and aftermarket parts. Adam (sideways) brings parts in his MINI\'s boot to Monthly Meets and other SOMC events, so PM him if there\'s something you want, and you can avoid shipping and the wait that goes along with it :)