PDA

View Full Version : car is completely messed. help!

mightymini
10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
hi all,

was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about a car problem.

earlier this week, i started my car and before i put the car in gear, it shut off. i started it again and drove, and didn\'t think much of it. then yesterday, i drove to the supermarket. i was able to load my groceries and get back into the car. i started the car and the first click from the key, everything was normal, all the dashboard lights came on. the next click, all the power was lost again. no lights. i called caa to get a boost, and that dind\'t work. was abotu to get my car towed to the markham mini, but then the i got back the power. and i drove home instead of getting the tow. tried this morning to drive to the dealership and the car started and then shut off again. tried one more time and it started so i proceeded to drive, after a min it shut off after i left a stop sign. i called a tow truck to have it delivered to the dealership. the mechanic checked to see if any wires were loose connecting the battery, but that was fine. so now they are goign to do a diagnostic test.

anyone know what the problem could be? my car is a 2002 mini cooper s with some modications added, intake, exhaust and some other things i think. not really sure, but the car used.

help! i do\'nt want to get screwed by the dealership

Xiek
10-28-2007, 12:00 AM
sounds like maybe a computer issue..

did the engine like come on at all and stay on? without the other lights on as well
?

Reifle
10-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Ignition ?

mightymini
10-28-2007, 05:25 PM
when the problem was there, there was no power at all. coulnd\'t even use my key to unlock the door electronically. i\'m pretty sure it\'s a computer issue, which sounds really expensive.

markertoo
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
O M G .

Ok, this sounds a LOT like what was happening with my car over the last while. Whiel driving, the car\'s systems woudl slowly shut down. First would be the DSC/ABS lights, then the radio, then the heating system, then other non-critical systems. I only had the car come to a stop once, but I started to drive with a booster pack in my car, so that I could either boost my own car or run the car on that pack.

I had 2 separate issues in my car. First, I had a TON of corrsosion on the harness connector under my driver\'s fuse box. Enough that it took me almost 20 minutes to take the connector apart, and I had to replace the end housings, and about 10-12 wire circuits. There was so much corrosion in that connector that once I did get the connector apart, about 8 pins broke off of the male side, and stayed in the female side. This was a pain to fix, but it took me a while to actually find the problem.

Next, and what I think was a larger issue was that the male terminal on my starter had gotten loose over time, and the positive feed from the starter to the alternator had intermitent connection over the last few months. Eventually, the teminal itself built up a layer of corrosion on it, and it stopped having a connection. Since there was no power feed to the alternator, it had no ability to charge the battery. That is why a large bump would either help the problem, or create it once again.

I have soem crappy pictures of my connectors that are a little out of focus (sorry). But, I cannot seem to upload the pics yet.

I would pull your trim panel that runs along the driver\'s seat, and see if there is any corrosion on that connector. Also, check the starter terminal. Have you done a clutch, a starter, or an alternator recently?

Pete Mills
Northern Motorpsport
1.800.263.8621 x231

Xiek
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
this also sorta sounds like what happened to lilcoopr when she got locked IN her car. (all power gone)

lilcoopr
10-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Xiek wrote:

this also sorta sounds like what happened to lilcoopr when she got locked IN her car. (all power gone)

In my case, they replaced the \"central control module\" or something of that sort. It was completely covered under warranty so I have no idea what it would cost.

I don\'t think it fixed the problem because I think the problem has to do with short circuiting when there is a lot of moisture in \"that\" (not sure where) area. I know this because my sunroof and windows completely opened during a torrential rain storm and it was also raining extremely heavily when I was locked in my car.

I\'m not sure what to say to help you... Check NAM or MINI2 to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it... And did this just start? And there were no other weird things happening before? And does it happen every time you drive the car now?

Well either way, good luck and please do keep us updated :)

Rorie
10-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Pete has got it. One, he is a mechanic and knows Mini\'s well. But also two, for things to be that wide spread, I would think it is a harness/connector issue. Three, for it to be sporadic and tempermental, it would be a case of a loose connector or corrosion.

I can\'t see it being a programming/ECU problem as if the ECU fried, it would be consistent. It shouldn\'t then work the next time you try.

I had no idea Lilcooper got locked in the car. That sounds more like a possessed car than anything else.

I do know Sabrina has an issue getting locked OUT of the car. But that is a whole different discussion. :laugh:

R

markertoo
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
One, he is a mechanic...

While I appreciate the compliment, I would like everyone to know that I am not a licensed technician. I have, at various times, worked repairing and modifiying cars. Mainly, I am pretty self taught, and VERY interested in working on cars. My main jobs are in sales.

Funny enough, I now have lights and features that have not ever worked on the car, ever since I bought it. For example, I did not know that our cars had a light under the console, between the down tubes.

Does this car have a sunroof? The drain tubes from the sunroof are notorious for falling off, and the water drains down the A-pillars. This channels water onto the Body Control Module on the right side, or onto the harness and fuse box area on the left side. Do you get water on your floor after a rain?

mightymini
11-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Well, i got the diagnosis from Markham Mini. Turns out it was a corroded megafuse connector. $430 for diagnostic check, labour and parts. ouch

lilcoopr
11-01-2007, 05:07 AM
mightymini wrote:

Well, i got the diagnosis from Markham Mini. Turns out it was a corroded megafuse connector. $430 for diagnostic check, labour and parts. ouch

Yikes that is a lot!!

I\'m just glad you have it figured out now though :) Where is that megafuse connector? Did they tell you how it got corroded? Is it a common thing to corrode?

paulo500
11-01-2007, 03:33 PM
markertoo wrote:
Does this car have a sunroof? The drain tubes from the sunroof are notorious for falling off, and the water drains down the A-pillars. This channels water onto the Body Control Module on the right side, or onto the harness and fuse box area on the left side. Do you get water on your floor after a rain?My \'05 had a disconnected down tube on the drivers side. Pissed me off every time it rained or when i washed my car, the carpet was always wet!
Did a couple water experiments with a cup one sunny day and sure enough, the water drained onto the ground on the passenger side, but nothing came out on the drivers. Pulled the panel back and could see water trickling down on to the floor. Bingo!
Luckily whatever they fixed/replaced/re-attached was covered under warranty and never had a problem since. Been awhile since i last checked that fuse panel under there for any corrosion, maybe ill do that soon...

P.S. Pull the rubber weather stripping off the bottom rocker panel and chances are the older the mini, the greater chance you got a whole wack of rust build up...particularly where they spot-welded the seam...Big thread on NAM about it. Luckily mine is still ok...but is always wet after a car wash or rain fall.

markertoo
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
My \'05 had a disconnected down tube on the drivers side. Pissed me off every time it rained or when i washed my car, the carpet was always wet!

Did a couple water experiments with a cup one sunny day and sure enough, the water drained onto the ground on the passenger side, but nothing came out on the drivers. Pulled the panel back and could see water trickling down on to the floor. Bingo!

Luckily whatever they fixed/replaced/re-attached was covered under warranty and never had a problem since. Been awhile since i last checked that fuse panel under there for any corrosion, maybe ill do that soon...

Both of our cars had this issue. One on the driver\'s side, one on the passenger side. I have to pull the head liner down, and re-install the drain tubes. If one does a search on NAM, you can find a lot of info about it.

Also:

Wow. THIS is the reason that I have done so much research and learning to fix cars myself. I simply cannot afford to get bills like this. I will buy a tool to do the work, and learn how to do the fix.

To give you an idea, I bought the parts to repair my harness, and about 20 or so of the harness ends with the wires attached. My cost on the parts was about $60-70, and a few hours of my own time.

minibob
11-01-2007, 09:01 PM
hi pete
i herd of something close to thison nam.if i remember it was a bad computer ground.so check all grounds.u never know

minibob

TheItalianJob
11-01-2007, 09:14 PM
:woohoo:
i\'m so happy i don\'t have a sunroof...:)