PDA

View Full Version : Help with GTA MINI experienced service centres

everythingsablur
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello all!

So my beloved but under driven 2005 MINI Cooper S has recently outlived its standard MINI warranty period. Previously I\'ve had most of the warranty servicing done at MINI Vaughan West out of simplicity, but since I\'m no longer under warranty, I figure I can save a little money going elsewhere, and now can use something other than standard BMW parts (woohoo! No more mega brake dusty brake pads!). My front brake rotors will likely need to be replaced in the spring/summer. Oil I can probably start changing myself.

Can anyone here recommend a good mechanic in the GTA with experience in working on MINIs? Or should I still consider having some/all work done at a dealer (stupid question?)? My car is currently housed in Richmond Hill until my new condo is finished later this winter, at which point it will be downtown. I\'d prefer something easily accessible by public transit if I\'ve got to drop it off.

Thanks in advance!

Cooper_Gal
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I don\'t have a mechanic to refer to you, but if you are talking about replacing the brakes and rotors is an easy job. I personally did not do it, but watching it does seem easy and Kevin (my other half) had no issues doing the change. Also, my MINI is still under warranty and had no issues using after market brakes and rotors, as the BMW brakes just gave off too much dust! If you can change the oil, you can change the brakes ;)

~Rebecca~

Nemo
03-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I have a similar problem with finding a good mechanic other than the dealership. Just wondering if anyone in the Brantford area is reading this, WHERE DO YOU TAKE YOUR MINI? Have asked a couple of places but they aren\'t equipt to do the work on them. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

mblotto
03-03-2009, 02:31 AM
I recently had some work done at Techmax (http://www.techmax.ca/) in Mississauga, and I will DEFINITELY be going back there again. Smart, straight-up, passionate bunch of guys with good rates. And this coming from a guy who\'s VERY picky about who touches his car...I live downtown and still went out there.

Tell \'em Mike w/the cracked oil pan sent you.

theprezzz77
03-03-2009, 04:11 AM
mblotto wrote:

I recently had some work done at Techmax (http://www.techmax.ca/) in Mississauga, and I will DEFINITELY be going back there again. Smart, straight-up, passionate bunch of guys with good rates. And this coming from a guy who\'s VERY picky about who touches his car...I live downtown and still went out there.

Tell \'em Mike w/the cracked oil pan sent you.

I also have used Techmax in Mississauga and will vouch for them as well. They know the MINIs like the back of their hands....

Dino

MiniCam
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Haven\'t been to Techmax, but I live in Mississauga, so I\'ll probably try them out.

A neighbour of mine who\'s in the auto racing industry highly recommended a small shop called JD Auto:

JD Auto
301 Rexdale Blvd
Toronto, ON
(416) 746-1048

I went there a couple of months ago, and was very happy with the work they did.
They only work on european imports, and they\'re definitely an \"enthusiast\" garage. The owner\'s mid-80\'s 3-series BMW racecar was up on the lift when I was in there...

It\'s a small shop, hidden away behind a rental car shop, and when you walk in, you\'re RIGHT in the shop (ie, the office is in the back, so don\'t be surprised).

Very reasonable, and they seem to really know what they\'re doing.

- Cam

Sideways
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Cooper_Gal wrote:

I don\'t have a mechanic to refer to you, but if you are talking about replacing the brakes and rotors is an easy job. I personally did not do it, but watching it does seem easy and Kevin (my other half) had no issues doing the change. Also, my MINI is still under warranty and had no issues using after market brakes and rotors, as the BMW brakes just gave off too much dust! If you can change the oil, you can change the brakes ;)

~Rebecca~

I will second this.

I did my brakes (replaced with EBC greenstuff) myself, and with a little help from NAM it was super easy. If you have the space and tools (not gonna need a lot...of either...LOL) then it can be a real rewarding project.

Kovac and I are planning a tech day...and LilCoopr and I are planning a Detail day.

We are all out in the EastEnd tho.

miniack
04-12-2009, 03:08 AM
I would recommend Engineered Automotive in Vaughan. Contact Lou @ 905-660-1884.

There\'s always a couple of MINI\'s in for regular service and mods when I\'m there. I have no affiliation with them other than they service my cars. (Jetta & Mercedes)

I\'m pretty anal (so my wife says) about servicing my cars and found EA to be a honest shop. Reliable, do what they say they are going to do without drama. I try and avoid going to the dealer unless its a warranty issue. EA has the tools and the diagnostic equipment to handle any european car from your MINI to an SLR.

wanda
04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Kovac and I are planning a tech day...and LilCoopr and I are planning a Detail day.

We are all out in the EastEnd tho.

Hi there - I\'d attend a detail/tech day - probably a good idea to see how to change oil/brakes and learn tips on detailing - great idea in fact.