PDA

View Full Version : Hood Wont Open, Help?

Wolfe
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok, so I took my car to Oakville Mini before christmas to get a scanner hooked up and tell me why my gauges are acting up, I pick up the car and notices that I had washer fluid (which I ran out of on the way to the dealership). I think sweet, they filled up my fluids, I drive the car for a week, go on vacation for a week and then come back and start driving again. I run out of washer fluid after a nother week of driving (last weekend) and I go to open my hood to top it up, and I can\'t get the damn thing to open. I pull on the release, and the driver side pops up but the passenger side does nothing. I fiddle for a bit, spray some WD and still nothing, I try to open and close numerous times but still have no luck. When the driver side is latched it is good and latched and when I push on the hood on that side it does nothing, when I push on the hood above the passenger headlight it moves/bounces. It is kind of like it is stuck half way inbetween releasing and locking.

Anyone have any idea\'s? I think it must be siezed or something, but I\'m not sure how to get at it. Do I have to take the passenger wheel well off?

BANZAI
01-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, but did you try to lift the release lever under the hood approx. between the left (when viewed from inside the Mini) edge of your upper grille and your left headlamp? There is a release lever for the right hand side of the hood.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3483/3208640983_4c56a9ee3c.jpg

The release lever is highlighted in yellow.

Hope this helps

Paul

Wolfe
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
HAHAHAHA:laugh: Yes I know how to open the hood, if I didn\'t then I would have said that I was trying to open it for the first time and couldn\'t, but thanks for trying anyways.

I got it fixed last night, and it was a combo of things. I pulled the inner wheel well off and sprayed the passenger side latch with WD, and then I had to manually release it with a screwdriver. Once I got it open I sprayed it more and manually moved it until it worked smooth, then I went under the dash where the release handle is, and I noticed that the cable for the passenger side had come unattached from the handle. I fiddled with that for 10 minutes until it was hooked back up, and everything works like a charm now.

Sideways
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
A simple case of D.I.Y. troubleshooting...
I hope you took pictures for the benefit of the rest of us.

Wolfe
01-20-2009, 12:16 AM
:( I didn\'t. I can take them of the release handle easily, but it will have to wait until another problem or warmer weather to get me to pull the inner wheel well off again.