PDA

View Full Version : Engine light, other than gas cap?

HarryIndiBlue
01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Is there anything else silly the engine light could be before I take it in? Oil dip stick, oil cap? Anything a rodent could have chewed threw (I think I have mice in my garage)? If it isn\'t warranty covered MINI Waterloo now charges a fee just to check the code... Thanks.

Harry

wee ride
01-29-2009, 03:08 PM
My bet is the O2 sensor. Sometimes after I clean my car a with pressure washer, my light will come on. I had Mini waterloo check it once and that is what came up. But seeing how expensive the O2 senors are (and there are two of them) I figured I\'d hold off.

HarryIndiBlue
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks. My car is still under warranty and I assume those sensors are covered.

Xiek
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
There are numerous reasons why it could be on.

Mine is on and apparently is the o2 sensor.

we charge our customers too to check an engine code. When the machine costs you over $9,000 to purchase, and then yearly updates. You have to pay for that machine somehow.

lilcoopr
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Maybe there\'s actually something wrong with your engine.....? :P

theprezzz77
01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Even if its something that turns out to be a little dumb, you are under warranty, and I would take it to the dealership ASAP and have it looked after. If its something serious, its better to have it serviced before it causes something else to go wrong...

Dino

HarryIndiBlue
01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
As I said I called them the very next morning and, because they too thought it is probably the gas cap, they suggested I wait until Friday but perhaps I\'ll call them back today. It may be O2 or something worse as you say... booked in for Tuesday of course.

paulo500
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
My engine light is on too (o2 sensor). It comes and goes. Depending on how hard i drive or (i think) what gas is being burned.
The dealership said for me to try a lower grade fuel like 89 or 87 octane. (The ethanol is what\'s killing our engines)
So i\'ve been running 89 for awhile and the light doesn\'t come on AS frequently as it did, but this may be just a fluke...

If i do have to get the o2 sensor replaced, im going to stick with Shell V power (0 ethanol) after.

HarryIndiBlue
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I used to like Esso gas as it had no ethanol but I think they all are required to have ethanol in them by law? I\'m not sure but I had just filled up at Sunoco which is big on ethanol, isn\'t it? Perhaps that is the reason. I\'m going to run this tank down low and then I\'ll try something else in it to see if it helps, otherwise it\'ll go in Tuesday.

HarryIndiBlue
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
So... I took it in today and it was effectively a nothing. Just one code fired in the whole week thinking the gas tank was leaking or something (1475) which they figure was just a bad weather bad sensor reading (something frozen) so they cleared it, gave me a comp wash and I was on my way. If it happens again I guess they\'ll have to dig deeper but for today I\'m happy to be quickly back in my car. Thanks MINI Waterloo!

supercooper
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I kind of have the same mini problem... it\'s been going on 1 week after i got my power steering pump replaced by bmw.
It goes on and off... sometime it will be off for a whole day, sometime it will be on for a whole month. It\'s been about a year now, and I figured I\'ll just let it go till it dies. Or until I can pay a mini price for a mini problem.