PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a backyard mechanic to help me out

mblotto
11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
So I\'ve got a road trip planned in a couple of weeks but my brakes are messed after a lapping day I attended recently. I\'ve got to get my pads replaced before I can take my Mini on a long journey.

I\'m not particularly interested in paying the dealership their inflated labour rates to do the job, so I was hoping to find someone with the space and some of the tools to do the work with me. I\'ve replaced the pads before, so I know how it\'s done. I also have most of the tools necessary. All I really need is a place to do it and a jack/jack stands to lift the car. It\'s always nice to work along with someone as well. Any takers? I\'ll definitely make it worth your while in whatever form of currency you prefer...beer, pizza, cash, whatever.

I don\'t think I\'ll have to replace the rears, but that remains to be seen. The rears are a bit of a pain as far as compressing the piston, so if they\'re in fine shape, shouldn\'t take more than a couple hours at most.

I don\'t know about you, but I love gettin\' my hands dirty :woohoo:

I\'m also open to any recommended independant mechanics who would do a good job for a good price...the closer to downtown TO, the better.

Fei
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I live around Yonge and Sheppard. I also need to get my brake rotors changed. I remember that compressing the rear pistons is a PITA and I\'m trying to order the disc caliper tool ($30 US) from Habor Freight. Canadian Tire has something similar, but at a whopping $163 before tax.

TheItalianJob
11-06-2007, 10:37 PM
if you feel like driving to Hamilton we can do them at my place. B)
I ordered new pads for the front for next week and doing my brakes. I have air tools...:P
it would probably be a good idea to flush the brake fluid too.

daniel

Jack07734
11-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Your welcome to bring them here. As you know I have all the tools needed to do a propper job.

Cheers,
Jack

GordonD
11-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Mike I am at Winston Churcill and 401 area if that works - got lots of tools if we had a problem - pm me if you want to set something up

mblotto
11-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Thanks to all for the replies...there are more DIY tinkerers out there than I thought ;)

I\'ll have a fresh set of pads and fluid soon enough.

paulmon
11-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Might as well throw my hat into the ring. I\'ll give you a hand too, got air tools and god knows I\'ve done this more times that anyone on the planet. Only catch, bring some new choons. ;)

Paul

GordonD
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Isn\'t that a picture of the STIG - don\'t tell me . . .