PDA

View Full Version : 17 Inch Run Flat\'s

jdmb1975
10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I picked up a 2009 Cooper S with the sport package and the 17 inch summer Dunlop run flats on them.

On every other car we have I switch them out at day one. I HATE runflats.

I am shocked at how bad the ride is with these things on. I am currently driving an M3 with 19\" ulta high performance tires on it and the ride is far less harsh and thats a pretty hard riding car.

How much of this on a harshness is just the Cooper S and how much is this due to the run craps?

They re coming off for winter and not going back on come spring.

I can\'t imagine all of you guys and girls on still rolling on these? Are you?

jtlapointe
10-13-2009, 02:59 AM
negative

Woobn8r
10-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I just don\'t feel the runflat love I\'m afraid.....

Unfortunately Bridgestone invented them for the Porsche 959 and then some \'other\' company decided to make a fad out of them...now the OEM designers/engineers (and accountants) can\'t walk away. I wish they would.

Xiek
10-15-2009, 12:56 AM
There are some decent run-flats out there...

I believe that a lot of manufacturers went to them for mainly space in the vehicles...

More Cargo space! :P

but that is a blessing in disguise... every try changing a flat on a van with sto-n-go seating? the spare is up under the ven, between the front seats.. you have to lower it, and drag it out the side of the van.

costa316
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Since you guys love run flats so much, I have a set for sale...:laugh:

check the link...Best offer takes them

http://www.somc.on.ca/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=36&func=view &catid=6&id=22701#22701

Two Sheds
10-15-2009, 02:42 AM
I ditched the run flats day 3 I think. I got the car delivered on winters (so I will have winter run flats) and then bought after market rims with summer non run flats on them. I had run flats on my previous car (3 series bmw) and hated them.

Sideways
10-16-2009, 02:54 PM
For safety reasons run-flats make a lot of sense...especially in the winter time...I can understand that if you like to take the MINI to the track, then of course the run-flats are not going to give you what you want...but for the majority of people who drive the MINI, lets face it, its from the GO station to home, and from home to the GO station. (dont flame on me for using the GO train analogy, just picture point A to point B). People who are on forums like this are going to be the minority and 75% of the time not even going to keep the OEM wheels on the car in the first place.

lilcoopr
10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
When I had the choice when replacing my OEM 17\" runflats with a non-runflat I thought this was the moment I had been waiting for. However, after speaking with various people in the tire industry, I realized that since I invested a lot in my new wheels, a blowout or flat would seriously harm them with non-runflats whereas the runflat would hold its shape and minimize rim damage. This was just one of the factors, along with the safety issue, that keeps me motoring with runflats. I agree that if I took my MINI to the track, it would be a different story. But knowing that you can seriously damage your wheels from a crazy Toronto pothole in the middle of the night makes me keep runflats.

I\'ve also driven a couple MINIs without runflats with the same sized tires as mine and didn\'t notice an extreme difference for daily driving. It\'s all in the tire as well... some are better than others.

Valeriee
10-21-2009, 02:04 AM
I have 16 inch Run Flats and two weeks ago I was really happy about that.

I was hurtling along the Gardiner Expressway doing around 120kms when the alarm came on. I just slowed to 80 and headed to the dealer. The thought of either a) changing a flat on the Gardiner or b) waiting for a tow on the Gardiner is the stuff of nightmares and incredibly dangerous.

There again, replacing the offending tyre (nasty nail had killed it) was no joy at $386!

I am most definitely not car-techy, but I thought the \'rough ride\' was more due to the tight suspension than the tyres.

The first winter I had my MCS I purchased (for an obscene amount of money) a set of winter run flats on nifty looking alloy rims. Call it vanity, but the thought of scruffy steel rims and fat snows just did not appeal.