View Full Version : Batteries

11-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Alright, so I needed to replace my battery finally...

I went with an Interstate, simply because they are a great battery and it\'s what we sell.

Now, since I have done that, my clock resets every time I turn my key off and on again? Seems odd to me.

Not sure what if anything would be different from the OEM Battery and Interstate, have you run into this before or heard of any of your clients complaining about this?

11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey Xiek, I have asked the parts people about using Non-Oem batteries and they told me that there should be nothing wrong with it...I have a call out to the Shop, but they are busy right now, I will follow up a bit later...but there is no reason that the Clock should reset every time you turn the car off...:huh:

11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I know.

I mean it\'s just a power source.. shouldn\'t matter what manufactured source it is.. 12V is 12V.... it\'s weird.

MINI Waterloo
11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Jason!
I mentioned your situation to a couple of the techs at MINI Waterloo and they agreed that there\'s nothing wrong with using an interstate battery. They also agreed that it sounds like your battery isn\'t grounded properly. They suggested tightening your ground wire. Hope that fixes your clock issue. :)

11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
But if it was a ground, would not the radio stations reset as well? They are all still saved...

Is there a trip time feature that can be set with the clock? Like our Uplander (shop shuttle) has a trip timer.

Something like that on it? I have never heard of that myself on a MINI...

BTW, re-checked the ground, and it is tight.

MINI Waterloo
11-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Your right about hte ground wire but it never hurts to check the easy fixes. Minor problems are usually a silly little thing that came loose, slipped etc. I was advised to tell you the recheck all your wire connections, maybe something isn\'t quite attached all the way. I know it sounds silly and basic, but again it\'s an easy checks. If its not that, then you may have had a power surge that fried some component of your clock.

11-20-2009, 09:46 PM

the clock memory, seems to be connected to the fuse that controls the heated mirrors... it was blown, replaced it, and the clock memory functioned.. but it\'s just the memory, cause I could use the clock while I was driving, it would just reset when turned off...

11-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Maybe they did that specifically so you would KNOW when the fuse was blown for the heated mirrors? :huh:

I can imagine knowing it was blown other than the heated mirrors not working (if and when needed during ice?) you wouldn\'t know it was till needed which would be a little late?:ohmy:

Also since it is a fairly infrequently used accessory wouldn\'t be much draw from the memory function.:blink:

Thanks for the info btw, as good to know if ever have a similar situation.:)

Still strange how it blew at the SAME time you changed the battery? maybe check the circuit (with the radio fuse disconnected to see if there is any parasitic drain all the time?) I see Princess Auto has one that plugs directly into the fuse to check for such things if your shop doesn\'t have one. A useful tool to check for such things.

Atleast you solved the mystery and all is well again Xiek.;)

11-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I guess that sorta makes sense, a warning to know the mirrors aren\'t working...

11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Xiek wrote:

I guess that sorta makes sense, a warning to know the mirrors aren\'t working...

I know it;s a little more expensive, but I wish NEW cars put in fuses that can be easily identified when they blow. They are a nice feature to look and see a LED lite to indicate that the fuse it pooched!! and you know which one exactly to replace. Especially helpful in dark locations under the dash where it\'s hard enough to see when you have the diagram!!!

Or even better would be a circuit breaker type that you can simply reset. I know it costs more, but sure would be handy and helpful in diagnosing an issue quickly on the road.

But the reason it\'s pared to the heated mirrors is more likely due to convenience rather than by design :P

Still good info to keep stored in the melon if ever needed.