PDA

View Full Version : Key battery question

BANZAI
11-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Take a look Here (http://www.somc.on.ca/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=36&func=view &catid=5&id=24432#24432)

Paul

BANZAI
11-30-2009, 09:41 AM
TTT Can anyone answer this one?

I\'d like to know what it is going to cost me when my 2003 key battery finally gives up.
I know that there are spare keys on E Bay, but would these still need to be coded?

Paul

MINI_Georgian
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
BANZAI wrote:

TTT Can anyone answer this one?

I\'d like to know what it is going to cost me when my 2003 key battery finally gives up.
I know that there are spare keys on E Bay, but would these still need to be coded?

Paul

About $5-10 for new Battery Paul. And those spare keys on eBay are useless... unless you have a laser cutter stashed away somewhere. MINI Canada does not even have the machine required to cut these keys. They are all acquired from BMW NA.

Cheers,
Jason.

ve3hzz
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
From what I saw a while back on NAM you can take the key apart and if need be, remove the metal KEY part and put it into a new case. But if you simply need a battery then should not be a problem. The KEY itself or cutting is the real problem due to the type of key they use. One reason the OLD style key which was around for a long time worked fine. Easy to get replacements, but easier for criminals too!!!

Maybe when they go to bio scan technology they will do away with transponder keys, or rather will be like using a USB key to gain access and start the vehicle. Just not sure how that will work in our climate here?

Lots of logistics problems for sure and cost is always an issue.

best of both worlds for now would be a rechargeable battery that can be easily replaced if not holding a charge any more.

Good luck

Scott

taysan
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
What I\'m trying to sort out is why this thread was started, if only to point at another thread?

What\'s with the original post in this thread?

BANZAI
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
taysan wrote:

What I\'m trying to sort out is why this thread was started, if only to point at another thread?

What\'s with the original post in this thread?

It was directing the question to those that would be able to answer it instead of just opinions i.e. it was posted in the wrong place originally.

Paul