View Full Version : Aftermarket brake pads

02-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi dealers!
Do aftermarket brake pads, such as the popular Hawk, EBC and Carbotech, have provision for the MINI brake wear sensor? I have read various things about this on the net and would like to know once and for all whether yay or nay.

MINI Waterloo
02-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Nikki here from MINI Waterloo. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I asked a few mechanics and our shop foreman for an answer to your question. I\'m afraid I don\'t have a definitive answer for you. Most manufacturers should have provisions for the MINI brake wear sensor, but without seeing and trying to install each of the brands you mentioned, we can\'t say for sure. Fit is the most common problem with these aftermarket pads, if they\'re too tight they\'ll crack the sensor.

Sorry I couldn\'t settle this matter once and for all for you.

02-20-2010, 02:21 PM

02-20-2010, 02:23 PM
The answer to your question is that this is really not a question for a dealer. My personal experience with aftermarket MINI brake pads is that most reputable manufacturers do have sensor slots, but not all. Some only have slots for fronts and not rears. Some racing pads do not have slots at all as they are not intended to be run with sensors attached.

It would be my advice that if you are definitely not purchasing OEM pads then ensure that you are buying a reputable manufacturer\'s product from an authorized reputable retail company with specific product knowledge about the product and it\'s specific fitment to a MINI. They should be able to provide you with definitive answers to your questions. If they do not, move on.

02-21-2010, 03:32 AM
Thanks Nikki and Jason for your input.
I thought that dealers might know the answer to this question as they see a lot of MINIs, both in and out of warranty from all sorts of stages - pure OEM to full out modded - and may have feedback on what works and what does not. It is one thing for an aftermarket manufacturer to say a product works, but another for a dealer to see these things in action first hand and comment on their suitability.

02-21-2010, 04:04 AM
I\'ve heard of a few who have upgraded there brakes and using ceramic? pads that do not have the groves/slots for the sensors. What they have done is tie up the sensors out of the way as once it goes off (sensor causes a light on) you have to have it programmed OFF (meaning for most a trip to the dealership).

Personally when I replace mine, if I go with an aftermarket PAD/Rotor setup I would likely do this myself. Never had sensors on any other cars and never had a problem. Just one more thing to go wrong and need to spend money on (for nothing IMO).

Technology is GREAT when it\'s NEW and seems like a good idea, but sometimes the execution long term is.......well not that thought out for longevity. But what car company makes a car to LAST? Especially these days:huh:

Now to qualify my above advice (which I would do not necessarily anyone else) if it\'s under warranty still then guess it depends on what the warranty WILL allow and HOW those terms are interpreted?

02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your feedback Scott. I have read about and seen the sensor tied back as well.
I used to do all my own brake work but there is a bit more technology here that I don\'t want to interfere with and upset the warranty, or safety either.