PDA

View Full Version : KPH Speedo

Peepers
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Hey Dealers,

Im planning on selling my 2005 MCS (US spec) locally and I wanted to finally bring it up to complete Canadian specs easier to sell. The only thing I need to do is swap out the gauge cluster to Canadian (kph) specs. Im not sure how much this tach/speedo cluster is worth (my mini has navigation - no centre speedo) so I was wondering if you can price it out for me? Also what would be the part number for the part Im looking for?

My VIN# is TL15360 (US spec)

It looks pretty basic to swap out plug and play type scenario. Is that the case?

Finally, I need a new windshield (I got a decent size chip looks like a pellet gun shot) and was wondering what you recommend??

Thanks!!

lilcoopr
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I\'ve asked the techs before and swapping the speedo is not enough - you need reprogramming and some other stuff. It was quite pricey....

Sideways
03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Your VIN does not show in the Canadian Database...
you are more than likely going to run into some issues if you go to the dealer.

Peepers
03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Ive had no issues with my Mini and Canadian dealers. I bought it with 3000 kms on it and its been in for service (warranty work) many times. Not sure why my VIN# is not coming back. It works on realoem??

MINI Waterloo
03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Peepers,
Sorry I haven\'t been able to get back to you sooner. I just wanted to confirm whether you have the single or dual chrono cluster above your steering wheel? That will allow me to confirm which part you\'ll need and get you the part# and cost. Lil Coopr is right, you\'ll need to replace the combi and rev counter and do some programming. As for the windshield I can get you pricing for that as well but to be honnest it will be cheaper to go with an after market one.

Nikki
MINI Waterloo

Peepers
03-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Nikki,
I have the dual chrono cluster over my steering wheel as seen here - (photo not taken from my actual car though)

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/Peepers1/5281363_24_400.jpg

Can you also quote what the re-programming will be?

Thanks!!

MINI Waterloo
03-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Peppers,
OK here\'s tally for you. The dual cluster combi and rev counter you need to replace is $912.62 plus taxes (part# 62-11-6-966-500). Labour to install the part and do the necessary programming is $540 plus taxes (4.5 hrs at $120/hr). You will also need to get a letter ($500) from the government confirming that you have made all the necessary adjustments and had any possible recalls attended to. Good luck selling your car with the weather improving it\'s a good time to put it on the market. B)

Nikki

Peepers
03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info Nikki, it\'s much appreciated.

I question your comments of \"You will also need to get a letter ($500) from the government confirming that you have made all the necessary adjustments and had any possible recalls attended to\" as my car is already plated and certified to be on the roads in Canada. There is no $500 government fee required either at the time of import and/or at the time of resale. There is however a $195+GST fee payable to the RIV (www.riv.ca) at the time of import, but that is the only fee that is to be paid (other than A/C tax, GST & PST and possibly duty 6.1%). There\'s nothing in the RIV legislation that states anything is required at the time of resale nor that the gauge cluster actually needs to be switched out before or after importing. All the RIV wants to see is that it either i) has both KHP and MPH on the cluster or ii) theres markings (lines of tape will suffice) at the 60, 100 & 120 kph typical speeds on Canadian highway roads. Canadian dealers (not specific to Mini or BMW) are trying to make the importing process more difficult (last time the C$ went over par) and they were holding the warranty programs hostage stating that the warranty would be voided if the car was not fully converted by an authorized Canadian dealer. That always boggled my mind as a gauge cluster has nothing to do with warranty thus why would it be voided cash grab if you ask me. They were also charging for the letter of recall required at time of importation, perform the cluster switch and activate the DLR (a must) to make the warranty valid. Charging for the letter of recall is BS and the cluster switch is not really necessary. The recall letter is required at time of import for RIV registration but not required at time of resale.

Thanks again for your help

MINI Waterloo
03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Peepers,
Thanks for the info about the recall letter. I must confess I was passing on info from other people who have converted US cars. I must have misunerstood the amount or perhaps they were including other cost such as duty in that amount. Either way, glad that\'s one less thing for you to have to pay. :)

Nikki