PDA

View Full Version : Head lights

thrashes
01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey guys,
I dont know if its normal or not, but for some reason my head lights seem quite strange. There is a very defined cut-off where the light stops and the darkness starts at night, and its probably only like 10-15 feet infront of the car. To me other headlights seem to fade out as they get farther away not just stop at a line. I dont know if the previous owner messed around with the adjustments or whatever but I think something is off. Any input would be good, thanks alot.

Sam

MINI_Georgian
01-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Tonight, when it\'s dark, get in your car, turn on the headlights THEN turn on the ignition. You should see your headlights dip and then raise and level off. This is the self-leveling function of the Xenon headlights. If you do not see this happening then you\'ll know your problem lies in the leveling system. If they do dip and raise up then it could be an aiming problem.

In either case they headlights may need to be examined at your MINI Service department to ensure proper aim and function of the lighting system.

Cheers,
Jason.

paulo500
01-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow, talk about coincident??!!
Ok, while searching the NAM forums on how to take the lenses out of my rear wheel fender, i stumble across this thread about 10 minutes ago! http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93039
Talk about weirrrrd.....lol
Anyway, im going to adjust my headlights now (1/2turn counter-clockwise) and this should do the trick. (as per most people that wrote into that thread.)

paulo500
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
J, the self-leveling will always \'self level\' regardless. The fine-tuning adjustment screw is to tweak the level up or down (and another screw for left/right).

kyriian
01-19-2008, 06:41 PM
thrashes wrote:

Hey guys,
I dont know if its normal or not, but for some reason my head lights seem quite strange. There is a very defined cut-off where the light stops and the darkness starts at night, and its probably only like 10-15 feet infront of the car. To me other headlights seem to fade out as they get farther away not just stop at a line. I dont know if the previous owner messed around with the adjustments or whatever but I think something is off. Any input would be good, thanks alot.

Sam

im not sure if you had a proper HID equipped car before, but its the reflector shield that cuts it off, all factory HID cars have that feature because it keeps the Xenon lights from blinding other motorists, halogen systems doesn\'t have that because the light emitted isn\'t strong enough to blind people

ever try to look directly at the Xenons? believe me its painful!

you can try to adjust the lights as paul described, i did mine awhile ago in hopes to get a bit more range

-Herman

thrashes
01-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Awsome guys, thanks alot. I think it is the aiming issue. It does self adjust but then tonight i was noticing that even the road signs were poorly lit. I\'m definitely going to read that article on NAM and try that out. Thanks again

Sam

BANZAI
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Method for adjusting ALL forward facing lights (STICKY PLEASE?)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

MINI_Georgian
01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
paulo500 wrote:

J, the self-leveling will always \'self level\' regardless. The fine-tuning adjustment screw is to tweak the level up or down (and another screw for left/right).

I know this Paul. What I was trying to discern is if it was an aiming control issue or a more serious leveling problem. I have seen a couple MINIs where this has happened and strangely it usually effects both sides. The headlights got stuck in the dipped position and would not level back up. Being new to a MINI it was not known whether he was aware of this function and therefore may not have noticed it not working.

Since he can confirm that they do indeed level it\'s much easier to diagnose the problem as an aiming issue, and as Herman said, there is a stark cut off point in a Xenon light path.

Cheers,
Jason.

paulo500
01-20-2008, 04:36 PM
MINI_VaughanWest wrote:
The headlights got stuck in the dipped position and would not level back up. Yeah I could see this happening for sure. The more moving parts (especially in front of a car) is more prone to failure.:unsure: