PDA

View Full Version : TPMS on 2010 Mayfair Mini?

suilobo
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know if the 2010 Mini Mayfair edition has TPMS? I\'ve gotten different answers from calling the service advisors at the local dealers.

InvaderZim
11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I didn\'t think any of the Canadian models had TPMS, at least not current ones. I could be wrong. I thought that the R56 used (and I forget the acronym) the computer to monitor tire rotation and resistance as you were driving.

hobchub
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Not sure if this is the case for all MINI wheels with TPMS valves, but mine have TPMS stamped on the valve caps. I think there would be an indication on the valve cap to identify the valve as TPMS.

Mine look like this.

http://www.somc.on.ca/images/fbfiles/images/TPMS_Valve_Stem_gs.jpg

Sideways
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
All MINI\'s I have ever dealt with measure Tire Pressure through the rotating circumference of the wheel itself. It is tied into the ABS system. This is why when you change tires (winter to summer or vice-versa) you will trip the TPM. The car senses that there is a difference in rotation in the wheels and relays that info to the driver.

Ron, thats the first I have seen of those...did you get them from the dealership?

Tata Steva
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Sideways wrote:

Ron, thats the first I have seen of those...did you get them from the dealership?

OMG, he had to be different... Show off!:angry:

hobchub
11-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Sideways wrote:

All MINI\'s I have ever dealt with measure Tire Pressure through the rotating circumference of the wheel itself. It is tied into the ABS system. This is why when you change tires (winter to summer or vice-versa) you will trip the TPM. The car senses that there is a difference in rotation in the wheels and relays that info to the driver.

My wheels and tires came off a US car and the TPMS valves were already installed. Because they are OEM I assumed that all the valve stems had this type of valve cap.

jrbond007
12-01-2010, 12:16 AM
The US models have TPMS sensors on the rims, & the those metal valve stems screw into the sensor mount.
Not sure why they have two different systems? I would prefer the rotation monitoring, & not have to worry about $500 for a set of TPMS sensors,
if you are running seasonal wheel & tire sets.

Sideways
12-01-2010, 01:50 AM
jrbond007 wrote:

The US models have TPMS sensors on the rims, & the those metal valve stems screw into the sensor mount.
Not sure why they have two different systems? I would prefer the rotation monitoring, & not have to worry about $500 for a set of TPMS sensors,

I wonder what would happen if you installed a rim and tire that didnt include the tpms? does the light pop up on the dash?

vereinmann
12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
jrbond007 wrote:

The reason there are 2 systems is that TPMS with sensors in each wheel are required on all cars sold in the US, but not in Canada, so the OEM\'s save some cost by running the ABS-based rotational speed system here.

Sideways
12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
vereinmann wrote:

jrbond007 wrote:

The reason there are 2 systems is that TPMS with sensors in each wheel are required on all cars sold in the US, but not in Canada, so the OEM\'s save some cost by running the ABS-based rotational speed system here.

They dont save any cost to the customer up here though...the MINI still costs more in Canadian dollars than it does in Amerikun

vereinmann
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Sideways wrote:

vereinmann wrote:

jrbond007 wrote:

They dont save any cost to the customer up here though...the MINI still costs more in Canadian dollars than it does in Amerikun

oh i know, why would a company pass the savings along to the customer? :laugh: