PDA

View Full Version : Run Flat Tyres on Aftermarket Aluminum Rims

nemisis
03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Just like in the heading. Can you put a runflat on a different after market rim? I\'ve herad so many different things my head hurts. Want to put on an after market rim on the MCS but not change the tyres as they only have 7K on them and can put up with the harsh ride. Thanks for any and all input. :huh:

Soni
03-22-2011, 06:18 PM
yes, you can put a runflat on a different after market rims. Make sure you getting the correct size of rims and width tho. You don\'t want to get a 18\" rims when your tires are 17\" and you don\'t want to get a 9\" rims width rims when your tires are 215 wide.

WONGPRSN
03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Yep i put my run flats on some rims my local garage helped me pick out and ordered them in.

Just make sure they are good at installing run flat tires without scratching your new rims. Some say they are experienced in it, but really are not.

nemisis
03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys. I\'ll be doing the work myself at my job as thats what I do. lol I\'ve heard so many different stories and researched for hours and it looks like the old run flats were the problem not these that have the thicker sidewall. Want to mod the MCS more and didn\'t want to get tires just yet and put money into other nods. hehe

R53Tuning
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
You also have to becareful of the rim you choose. Because run-flat tires are thick and don\'t provide much flex when hitting a pothole, the rim takes majority of the impact. A hard impact can cause the rim to bend or crack.

WONGPRSN
03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I ordered some MSR 068, matte with a red stripe. There fairly cheap affordable rims, and i installed them early last summer.

I\'ve hit some major bumps and holes and they\'ve held up, also have my car lowered on them too.

R53Tuning
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Matte black wheels with a red stripe right? I\'ve been them, they look good. Many aftermarket wheels are fine but I have seen some pretty cheap ones break easily. All depends on what metals they use.

Are you still driving the R56? I thought you were getting rid of it?