PDA

View Full Version : WTB 5 speed transmission

mymini
07-17-2011, 02:28 PM
any1 can guide me where to find a 5 speed transmission and where is the best place to get a clutch for my mini? its 5 speed 2002 base .hate to see it broken :( PM ME THANKS.

ryanmx
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Personal opinion here, but the best place I would imagine to get a clutch would be from the dealer. They come with everything you need, and there would not be any worries as to if it will all be correct or not.

Do yourself a favor and call around to the dealer and parts stores, see how the prices compare for what is included. You may be surprised at your findings.

As for a transmission, you may have a tough time finding one. Call every single auto wrecker in southern Ontario and you will get a good idea on what you will spending. Some auto wreckers have affiliates in the U.S and usually get one within a few days.

Good luck,
Have you replaced a transmission before, and who diagnosed it? I have been working on mini\'s for about a year now, and yet to see an actual transmission fail. Only Clutches.

markertoo
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
ryanmx wrote:

Personal opinion here, but the best place I would imagine to get a clutch would be from the dealer. They come with everything you need, and there would not be any worries as to if it will all be correct or not.

Do yourself a favor and call around to the dealer and parts stores, see how the prices compare for what is included. You may be surprised at your findings.

As for a transmission, you may have a tough time finding one. Call every single auto wrecker in southern Ontario and you will get a good idea on what you will spending. Some auto wreckers have affiliates in the U.S and usually get one within a few days.

Good luck,
Have you replaced a transmission before, and who diagnosed it? I have been working on mini\'s for about a year now, and yet to see an actual transmission fail. Only Clutches.

Ok, do a search for Midlands gearbox failures. Not overly uncommon in the early Coopers to have the tranny fail.

As I mentioned in the thread 3 before this, Heather\'s tranny failed -it broke a tooth of of the ring gear while driving along in fifth, and no abuse was happening.

I can get clutches, but I would imagine the OP will keep looking or create another thread. I can get an original Sachs or Luk one, for a fraction of the dealer.

To the Original Poster, I hope I don\'t offend, but creating 4 different WTB threads is not going to create a solution all of a sudden.

I do have a reasonably priced solution, as I have found a source for used internals that fit, and you can rebuild your gearbox for about half the price of a used tranny. Those used trannies are just as likely to fail when you put them in, just like yours did.