PDA

View Full Version : WTB - 05-06 MINI Cooper S

SteveO
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I have been looking for an 05 or 06 MINI Cooper S for about 3 months now. I live in New Brunswick and there is next to no MINIs for sale within a 5 hour drive. So I am toying with the idea of buying one in Ontario and driving it back. A friend of mine is driving to Ontario on the Labour Day weekend, so I can just tag along with him.

I see there are a lot of cars on Kijiji, but I don\'t really want to go look at random cars. I\'d prefer to have 1 or 2 cars in mind and only look at them. I\'d also prefer to buy from an enthusiast as they usually take better care of their cars.

Here is what I am looking for:
- 05 or 06 MINI Coooper S (would consider an 04 if it was a good deal)
- Must be the 6sp manual
- Under 125,000 kms
- $15,000 (I could go a little higher, but it would have to be a special car)
- Good condition - no rust
- Any colour (but not particularly fond of yellow)

Here is a list of nice to haves:
- No sunroof
- Extra set of wheels with winter tires
- Chrono package
- Heated seats
- Cruise control
- LSD

How does buying a used car work in Ontario? Do the license plates stay with the car, or the owner? Also is there a difference between buying privately vs from a dealer? I wouldn\'t need the car to pass emissions (we don\'t have that here).

If you know of anything please let me know.

MiniBMW
08-24-2011, 12:25 PM
- license plates stay with the owner.

- privately vs dealer, I\'m thinking the dealer will be obligated to charge you HST-ON b/c the sale is taking place in Ontario. Also, I\'m assuming you\'ll have to pay HST-NB when you register the car in NB. The province\'s MTOs ( or MofT-NB... whatever) don\'t speak to each other. In other words, the Ontario dealer won\'t be in MofT-NB listing. If the above happens then you\'ll likely have to pay HST in both provinces and apply for a rebate for the HST-ON which will take months to get refunded. Not more expensive to buy from a dealer, you just have a bit of an admin hassel to deal with I would think, and you\'ll be out-of-pocket the extra tax for a few months.

On the other hand, if you buy from a dealer and they ship the car to NB then the dealer should charge you HST-NB and not HST-ON. But again, the provinces MofT don\'t speak to each other so when you register it in NB I\'m guessing you\'ll have to pay HST-NB again... :)

SteveO
08-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the info regarding the plates. I called the local DMV today and asked about buying a car from Ontario. As both Ontario and NB are HST provinces, if I buy from a dealer I just pay the HST to the dealer. If I buy from a private seller, I pay the HST in NB when I get back. Either way I have to pay in NB to transfer the registration and get new plates.

Unfortunately as the plates do not stay with the car I guess I will have to get a temporary tag in Ontario to be able to drive the car home. Either that or find a nice private seller who will let me \"borrow\" the plates for the drive home and I can mail them back. ;-)

callmephil
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
You don\'t need to transfer registration in NB, do it here in Toronto and get a temporary plate. If somebody from this group decides to sell him a car, make sure you get this all done at the DMV. Get the payment deposited and confirmed that the money is in your bank. \"Borrowing plates\" seems very fishy to me and you can be on the hook for anything this person decides to do between Toronto and NB.

No offence to the OP but something feels off.

R53Tuning
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I can help you with all the information about purchasing a vehicle and licensing it in your province. If you are interested, send me a pm.

CHeers

SteveO
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry, I guess you could take that as a little fishy. I wasn\'t entirely serious about borrowing plates, hence the smiley at the end. If I do end up buying a car in Ontario, I intend on going to the local TD Canada Trust branch and getting a bank draft in the persons name (they would be more than welcome to come along to ensure it is valid). I would also go to the DMV and get temp plates to drive it home.

I\'m not entirely sure how the sale of used cars works in Ontario. In New Brunswick, the plates stay with the car. So if you buy a car off me, it is rather simple. I take your money, write you a receipt with the price, VIN, mileage etc and sign the back of the registration slip. It is then your responsibility to take the receipt, signed registration and proof of insurance to the DMV and get the registration transferred to your name.

I think I will take R53Tuning up on the offer and pm him about more info on this.

Sorry again for the confusion.

callmephil wrote:

You don\'t need to transfer registration in NB, do it here in Toronto and get a temporary plate. If somebody from this group decides to sell him a car, make sure you get this all done at the DMV. Get the payment deposited and confirmed that the money is in your bank. \"Borrowing plates\" seems very fishy to me and you can be on the hook for anything this person decides to do between Toronto and NB.

No offence to the OP but something feels off.

callmephil
08-25-2011, 07:23 PM
There\'s so many scams out there that I look out for my fellow miniac\'s.

No pun intended.

MiniBMW
09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
SteveO, your search is over!!

Check out No. 38/64 in Chili Red on Panther Black Leatherette, Manual, JCW Competition Pkg, DSC, 17\" Alloys, LSD, JCW Kit, Anthracite Roof liner, Rear Fog lights, Fog Lights, Aerodynamics Package, Sports Suspension Kit, Premium Package, Chrome Line Interior, Power Fold Mirrors, Sunroof, On-Board Computer, White Roof and Mirror Caps, Harman Kardon with 71, 255km on it.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/MINI/Cooper/MARKHAM/Ontario/5_11645438_20091231092715237/

MCSRallye
09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
White roofs on red cars make me sad (no offence, just personal preference)... :(

Unfortunately, the red/white combo apparently made up some 75% of the limited run so there are only like 9 in Hyper Blue with Black roof and 7 in Astro Black with a body-coloured roof.

I\'ll just have to settle for a black body with a red roof when it comes time for a replacement... ;)

SteveO
09-29-2011, 12:42 AM
That is a really nice car, unfortunately it is a little more than I am looking to spend. Ideally I\'m looking for something in the 15k range. Which definitely rules out a Competition car. :(

Good luck with the sale.

MiniBMW wrote:

SteveO, your search is over!!

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/MINI/Cooper/MARKHAM/Ontario/5_11645438_20091231092715237/

MiniBMW
09-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Oh I wish it was mine, it would just look awesome in my garage beside one of the 9 blue ones with a black roof! ;)

MCSRallye
09-29-2011, 02:00 PM
MiniBMW wrote:

Oh I wish it was mine, it would just look awesome in my garage beside one of the 9 blue ones with a black roof! ;)

http://www.lolcatpics.com/images/blargded.jpg