PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Winter Tires

lilcoopr
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
So, Stella ended up in a ditch twice this morning.

Seems like her $2200 winter tires aren\'t what they say they are.

Anyone want to help a fellow MINIac out:kiss:? I am not driving home until the snow melts or I have new tires, whichever happens first. Her keys are in the hands of the service department here and I will get them to see (sometime today as they are busy even though the weather is bad) what is the problem with my tires.

PS: Who drives a Pure Silver MINI with a Black roof and drives around the Salem Road/Westney exit of the 401 around 9ish in the morning? Because then my heart and hugs go out to you as the 3 firetrucks, two ambulances, and a host of police cars were surrounding your MINI. I hope upon all hopes that you are ok, whoever you are.

PPS: I\'m not saying MINIs are bad in snow. About 7 passed me and 1 PW/B Cooper Clubman. And they passed me going at least triple what I was. And they were handling perfect. So hence I\'ve narrowed it down to the tires.

EDIT: I have 16\" MINI OEM R83 rims:
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/572/R83.jpg

markertoo
03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Are you ok? Is Stella ok?

PM sent to you about tires. I will see if I can find someone who has something still, but it is late in the season.

paulo500
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Is Christian still selling his winter buns?

Edit: nm, i just noticed they were sold :(

Check out craigslist or kijijijijiji...I bought Danielle\'s Barely used Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice winter tires for $300. Score!

lilcoopr
03-05-2008, 04:59 PM
paulo500 wrote:

Is Christian still selling his winter buns?

Edit: nm, i just noticed they were sold :(

Check out craigslist or kijijijijiji...I bought Danielle\'s Barely used Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice winter tires for $300. Score!

Uh oh Paul... please tell me those Goodyears are not winter runflats or else you\'ll be in the same boat -errrr ditch/snowbank- as Stella and I:unsure:

Kegfridge Commander
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Tough luck lilcoopr, hope stella and u r ok. I live in the country on a sideroad and use the secondary roads 2 get 2 work every day...they r the last 2 get plowed. I bought the Pirelli snows on holey rims off Christian for $420, and find them excellent in the snow. I put Michelin X-Ice on my wife\'s Mazda 3 and find them to b way better than the goodyear\'s she had from the previous few years. Just my 2cents.

paulo500
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
lilcoopr wrote:

Uh oh Paul... please tell me those Goodyears are not winter runflats or else you\'ll be in the same boat -errrr ditch/snowbank- as Stella and I:unsure:Naw they are non-runflats.
All in all they are a decent tire, but not as good as my old Nokian hakkapeliittas...B)

kyriian
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
keep an eye open on kijiji, or perhaps toronto civics, vwvortex... 16 winters don\'t pop up that often there but worth a look

ill keep an eye out, hope stella\'s not hurt

-Herman

zone555
03-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Darn, off by an inch. If you had 15\" wheels I could\'ve sold you my dad\'s winter tires which he doesn\'t need anymore.

Pirelli Winter Carving: 195/60-15. Perfect size for 15\".

Hope your car is okay :)

-Spencer

LittleSunshine
03-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I prefer to mount winters on steelies - they are cheap, they are tough, and salt doesn\'t wreck them.

15\'s are better for winter on the Mini - the taller section is more flexible and cuts the snow better. Little Sunshine has no problems at all in the winter.

Hakkes are the best for traction, by far. But they are noisy and rough riding. I have Viking SnowTechs which lose a bit to X-Ices for traction, but are smooth and nice in wet and dry. And they work on snow not too badly.

paulo500
03-06-2008, 02:45 AM
My nokians were as quiet as my all seasons back in the day! lol Very impressive i thought.
Perhaps earlier generation tires were noisy...

kyriian
03-06-2008, 03:31 AM
christina, a lead for you, down in new york, but a good drive down for relatively low mileage tires, even if the poster has only a few posts:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131038
-Herman