PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires

daborg
09-24-2007, 04:59 AM
I was on here a few weeks back doing some research into where to get some winter tires for my Cooper.

In the meantime the site was switched over and I did not get all the information down that I would have liked to.

With that being said, can we start a new discussion on anything related to winter tires for the Coopers?

eg. what size, where to get, who to talk to, etc.

paulmon
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
daborg wrote:

I was on here a few weeks back doing some research into where to get some winter tires for my Cooper.

In the meantime the site was switched over and I did not get all the information down that I would have liked to.

With that being said, can we start a new discussion on anything related to winter tires for the Coopers?

eg. what size, where to get, who to talk to, etc.

Sorry for changing the site from out from under you. You\'re looking at 175/65-15. Something to keep in mind. Even the crappiest no-name brand, piece of junk winter tire is better than the best brand-name all season tire.

I\'ve had good experience with Toyo.

Now, if you want Run Flats, you have limited choices. My advice, search Tire Rack and find a tire that you want and then call around for the best price. Make sure you tell them it is for a Mini, that you need 15\" steelies or some cheap alloys.

Paul

markertoo
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
The overall diameter of a 195/60R15 is the same as a 175/65R15. If I were buying winter tires, I would go with that. You should be able to get a winter tire starting around $80.00 each. Alloy whels will start you in the $125.00-150.00 range, so you could have a 15\" alloy winter package for less than $1000 quite easily.

16\" or 17\" winter packages are not necessary, unless you have big brakes, or want a significant increase in stability for the winter package.

We can sell any variety of winter or summer wheels and tires.

Pete Mills
Northern Performance
905.549.6417 x231

yqtyyz
09-28-2007, 04:37 AM
I can vouch for Peter; I bought a set of winters from him and plan to take it in a few weeks to get them put on.

Yeah it\'s early, but my car\'s lease is ending in 12 months and so I want to avoid anymore wear on the OEM tires.

fxk
10-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Are runflats worth considering for the winter? I don\'t have a spare tire on my car. But then, I\'m not planning any long trips in the winter either (but plans tend to change).

So is it a good safety feature to have or just a waste of money?

7jkt1
10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
markertoo wrote:

The overall diameter of a 195/60R15 is the same as a 175/65R15. If I were buying winter tires, I would go with that. You should be able to get a winter tire starting around $80.00 each. Alloy whels will start you in the $125.00-150.00 range, so you could have a 15\" alloy winter package for less than $1000 quite easily.

16\" or 17\" winter packages are not necessary, unless you have big brakes, or want a significant increase in stability for the winter package.

We can sell any variety of winter or summer wheels and tires.

Pete Mills
Northern Performance
905.549.6417 x231

do you carry 17\" winter tires? I have the rims already.

markertoo
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I can vouch for Peter; I bought a set of winters from him and plan to take it in a few weeks to get them put on.

Yeah it\'s early, but my car\'s lease is ending in 12 months and so I want to avoid anymore wear on the OEM tires.

Thank you very much.

I started out in the wheel and tire industry, before getting in to parts sales, or becoming a Mini owner.

markertoo
10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Are runflats worth considering for the winter? I don\'t have a spare tire on my car. But then, I\'m not planning any long trips in the winter either (but plans tend to change).

So is it a good safety feature to have or just a waste of money?

Well, it all comes down to whether or not you think run-flats in general are a good idea. I carry a small kit to repair tires, as well as a can of the instant repair. I do not like run-flats, and I feel that I am more than capable of seeing if my tire is on its way down, what with the TPMS on our cars, and a bit of knowledge on tires, and how they feel.

Also, I have CAA, as well as LOTS of wheels and tires in the garage.

So, if run-flat tires are an important feature to you, and you can justify the cost, then they do offer an added amount of security.

The Kumho is probably one of more reasonable run-flat winters, and you will spend $195 for 195/55R16s and $260.00 for the 205/45R17s.

markertoo
10-15-2007, 02:14 PM
do you carry 17\" winter tires? I have the rims already.

Yups, we can get 17\" winters. PM or email me and we can figure out a good tire for your application.

Pete Mills
Northern Motorsport
1.800.263.8621 x231

yqtyyz
11-25-2007, 10:23 PM
With the Semperit 15-inchers Peter sold me last year, I was able to pretty much tackle everything.

Definitely winter tires are better than all seasons. Even now, I can feel the stiff ride from the OEM Dunlops.

daborg
12-05-2007, 03:33 AM
I\'m up in the (now) great white north town of Innisfil. anybody know of any good tire dealers up here that know a thing or two about Mini tires? Iput it off too long and right now I\'m slipping and slifding thorugh a few feet of snow on the side roads... :dry:

BANZAI
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
daborg wrote:

I\'m up in the (now) great white north town of Innisfil. anybody know of any good tire dealers up here that know a thing or two about Mini tires? Iput it off too long and right now I\'m slipping and slifding thorugh a few feet of snow on the side roads... :dry:

Try Active Green & Ross on Ann St. in Barrie.