PDA

View Full Version : I OWN THE ULTIMATE LEMON MINI >>> how sad!!!!!

skinnymini
04-09-2008, 02:10 AM
HI Mini Friends,

I am soooo stressed since I have owned a Mini, my 05 cooper has experienced multiple problems since my purchase in June 06 from Mini Waterloo. I am currently driving my 11th .. yes 11th loaner vehicle. I have done a brief synopsis but all in all my Silver Mini currently has 45000kms and is such a huge disappointment. Wondering if anyone has had the horrible experience I am and have been since my purchase. It all started approx a month after getting my car. Its truly a shame as I was so happy and i baby my car, now i feel sad just looking at it let alone driving it. WHAT TO DO?
enjoy the brief list, quite a story behind each one .. let me know if you want more details!

check engine light on at 15000kms - replaced O2 sensor

sunroof leak - approx 20k, replaced drains

harmon kardon speaker blown - 20k - replaced

fuel reading empty (my car was back 4 times for this issue) 30oookms, replaced fuel sensor with faulty part on first visit, still no fuel

so second visit dealer replaces speedometer gauges on dash, still having issues so on third visit all wiring is replaced, finally on my 4th visit back they realize the sensor that was installed on my first visit was FAULTY.. shame!

32000kms my car is parked inside my garage at home, i hear a loud bang and go to see that my back window is blown OUT and completely shattered.

and to take the cake.. at 44000kms MY TRANNY BLOWS, what a horrible experience, my power steering fan also needed replacement, along with a new clutch and i had a coolant leak so my thermostat was replaced

so i get my car back and hear a loud swooshing noise when turning and a ticking when moving my wheel slightly, turns out my car quickly returns to the dealer for a new power steering pump along with brakes (500 bucks just for front....

my passenger seat has always been tempermental as i was cleaning it on sunday(went in monday morning for last listed issues) it decides that it either has to be all the way forward to completely laid down, it would not latch, turns out frame was broken, dealer ordered a new seat back, part comes in they replace it and its still not working, the NEW part was faulty and had broken hinges.... its ridiculous

also on the 4th visit to rectify my fuel sensor issue when i received my car back i had SCREW DRIVER gauges all over the area above my middle speedometer...

so as my tranny was getting fixed i told them to fix it and they did, now it looks worse, they did the worst patch up job ever (outsourced through the dealer) adhesive left all over my dash and the patched look really really bad.

My car shakes and rattles and sounds as if it is 20 years old due to the fact that it has been taken apart numerous times.

I have also experienced many other things that for the price and QUALITY that we should be receiving all I have had is stress and disappointment.

PLEASE HELP. I dont know what to do....

I think I have endured the Ultimate MINI nightmare.

Was my car not QCed?

Thoughts everyone??????

kyriian
04-09-2008, 04:22 AM
wow i have heard alot of horror stories, but this takes the cake... its the kinda problems i have only heard of in early 02s

have you talked to your dealer that sold the car to you about excessive problems and trying to get the lemon law into it? (im no expert with it, not even sure if canada has such a thing)

now, i know its no consolation, least one or two problems have been documented as a common issue (like the sunroof leak and the seat back) but it certainly its a first to hear the tranny blowing out like they do (considering its a newer 05 getrag tranny too),

if you got someone with a carfax account a good check maybe worthawhile... something tells me that the car may have already had a hard life prior to your purchase...

alot of the problems also doesnt sound like your fault... talk to your sales maybe they might offer you a consolation trade in for another one...

they aren\'t as reliable as civics and corollas, but when they sing there\'s very few that will drive like it

good luck! hopefully everything turns around at this point on! :cheer:

-Herman

BANZAI
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I\'m so sorry to hear this. As a consolation I think that I can safely say that this list is definately NOT the norm for a Mini.

As Herman said, have you considered talking to Mini Canada direct regards some form of compensation? or got it labelled as a lemon? I must admit, if this was my car I would have been shot of it after the third or fourth visit to the shop.

On the bright side ..... only a few more components and you\'ve got a new car with all the replacements.

I feel for you, as driving a Mini that is behaving as designed is an experience, as most Mini drivers would agree. No wonder we are the friendliest people on the road ... I can smile on the way TO work.

Good luck,

Paul

Cooper_Gal
04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I totally feel for you!! I have had my MINI back to MINI Vaughn West so many times I cannot remember.

Just off the top of my head I have had the Rad replaced 2 times (within 6 months), lower rad hose, thermostat, cylinder head was warped, battery, alternator and so many other things I cannot remember off the top of my head right now.

The longest I was without my MINI was 2 months. Yep it sat at MINI Vaughn West for 2 LONG and COLD Months from the start of December to the end of January. And then less then a week later it was BACK to the dealership for ANOTHER issue.

The check engine light is on again, and I dread what they will find next.

Oh and we have had NO heat to the feet all winter. The dealership quoted us 8 hours labour JUST to find out what the issue is BUT they already knew it WASN\'T covered under warranty.

It is never ending. I have less the 20K left in warranty and I am dreading the day it goes past.

I am seriously thinking of selling the MINI as way too many issues have come from it.

Well thats my rant over. There are a lot of beautiful MINIs out there, but there are a few that are a Pain in the A**!

~*Rebecca*~

skinnymini
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
all of these problems have been taken care of by MINI waterloo so they have my full service/repair report on file as well as i keep all my documents. I purchased my car as a demo with 13000k and i am first and only owner, not for long though i\'m thinking, i have been speaking with BMW head office and keeping my fingers crossed that they will help me out SOON!!!!

supercuper
04-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Don\'t hold your breath. My last MINI (an 03 MCS) ended up having 186 service days for a multitude of problems over the span of two years, and BMW nor MINI Canada would do nothing. It was also a demo from MINI Waterloo. I feel your pain, but what was sad was the fact that no one else seemed to understand or care, present company excluded. It was a very frustrating time when all I wanted to do was enjoy my MINI.

My current car is also a demo, and I\'m starting to notice a few niggle\'s, my latest one is a electrical short whilst driving. Perhaps we should both go into MINI Waterloo and demand satisfaction;) ;) ;) However, I know the guys at MINI Waterloo pretty well and they look after me very well, so far no complaints.

Good luck,

Alex:lol:

skinnymini
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
After 2 phone calls to head office I call the dealer for status on my car and was just told that my car (which is already spotless to begin with) is receiving a MINI SPA DAY ($300 value) .... its a start ..... i needed my carpets shampooed .....

supercuper
04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Well, that\'s something at least. I certainly got the short end of the stick. I hope your MINI starts to behave herself.

On a side note. Not sure it this goes for all dealerships, but I did notice at MINI Waterloo that they are having a 75% sale on their cloths.

mickyyyy
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
HI all
My previous MINI was a partial nightmare and most of the problems were caused by MINI waterloo. Every time it went in , it came back with a new problem.
Hell once it came back with the interior passenger door panel jamed into the passenger seat.
I know they have since changed ownership but I dont see to much has changed.

lilcoopr
04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
supercuper wrote:

My current car is also a demo, and I\'m starting to notice a few niggle\'s, my latest one is a electrical short whilst driving. Perhaps we should both go into MINI Waterloo and demand satisfaction;) ;) ;)

Can I come with you? Not kidding either haha. I still have tons of unresolved issues with them regarding Stella. Not even going to start to list. I haven\'t really been back since they changed owners. I know they are owned by the same people who own MINI/BMW Durham and Parkview BMW. I work at MINI Durham and I haven\'t noticed any of the kind of problems I used to see at MINI Waterloo. We\'ll see what happens.

PS: skinnymini, is your name Mary?? :)

skinnymini
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
yes my name is Mary, Hi Chrissy.... how has Stella been treating u? email me at mlittlej@hotmail.com

I picked up my clean clean car (what a nice spa day she had) BUT my MINI is going back in next week for another list of issues.. dash needs to be replaced, my paint on my boot is bubbling and i have a problem(no clue what) with my sterring.. it ticks when i move the wheel .....

ya def you can join me and gang up on them at the dealership .... i miss the old staff ..... lots of new faces now!

lilcoopr
04-10-2008, 12:11 AM
skinnymini wrote:

yes my name is Mary, Hi Chrissy.... how has Stella been treating u? email me at mlittlej@hotmail.com

I picked up my clean clean car (what a nice spa day she had) BUT my MINI is going back in next week for another list of issues.. dash needs to be replaced, my paint on my boot is bubbling and i have a problem(no clue what) with my sterring.. it ticks when i move the wheel .....

ya def you can join me and gang up on them at the dealership .... i miss the old staff ..... lots of new faces now!

Hi Mary!!! Sorry for not responding to your Facebook message. Facebook has been a little weird for me and it tells me I have a new message a week after I get it sometimes. I will definitely email you back :)

Dash replacement? Bubbling paint on boot? Is that because of rust? \"Markertoo\" had the same problem and he took it to MINI Waterloo to deal with, so maybe he\'s a good guy to PM for advice about this? Jeez I can\'t believe your misfortune with your MINI. Stella sends her best wishes to you and your MINI

lilcoopr
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
skinnymini wrote:

Hi Mary!!! Sorry for not responding to your Facebook message. Facebook has been a little weird for me and it tells me I have a new message a week after I get it sometimes. I will definitely email you back :)

Dash replacement? Bubbling paint on boot? Is that because of rust? \"Markertoo\" had the same problem and he took it to MINI Waterloo to deal with, so maybe he\'s a good guy to PM for advice about this? Jeez I can\'t believe your misfortune with your MINI. Stella sends her best wishes to you and your MINI

lilcoopr
04-10-2008, 12:14 AM
OK so for some reason half my message disappeared...

Well the rest of it said that I\'m off work for a week and a half because pneumonia and other stupid complications (even though I\'m starting to feel better now!). When I\'m back at work, I have a person in mind that I can mention your situation to. No idea if they can help, but it\'s worth a shot, right? Good luck and I\'ll try to help you out!!!!!!!!!! :)

kavatski
04-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Yikes, I pick up my new MC tomorrow from Mini Waterloo and you guys are making me nervous. :unsure: I won\'t be taking it there for service so hopefully all the problems are in the service department!

Xiek
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Well all I can say is, I have an 04 Cooper, and put it through it paces on regular occasions (no track days yet) and have little to no issues... I am way past warranty, and until I launched my car. no noises.. now there is a rattle/vibration that we can\'t find. But drives straight, front end is tight, no vibration in the wheel...

I have never heard of soooo many issues with one MINI before...

I don\'t believe that Canada has a Lemon Law. When I last searched for the law, all I got were a few hits in a few states, none in Canada.

I know it is not easy to do, but have you thought about changing dealerships for service?(don\'t go to BUDDS *SPIT*) or asking for a new technician to work on your car? Have you had the same technician each time?

lilcoopr
04-10-2008, 01:30 AM
kavatski wrote:

Yikes, I pick up my new MC tomorrow from Mini Waterloo and you guys are making me nervous. :unsure: I won\'t be taking it there for service so hopefully all the problems are in the service department!

It\'ll be ok, don\'t worry. There are new owners now and there have been many changes since I left. Who was your sales person?? Just curious tis all :)

Sludge
04-10-2008, 02:14 AM
I personally do not like dealing with Waterloo Mini as the service advisor I always end up speaking with is absolutely clueless.

I would absolutely FREAK if i was going thru the same crap you are.

Sludge
04-10-2008, 02:18 AM
To add, the boys next door at the BMW side talk up ALOT of BS about their product. You would think that with the ease of access to info we have these days that people would be a little more careful with what they feed us.

kyriian
04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
kavatski wrote:

to start, welcome to the club

problems seem more limited to first gen cars, so a new car like that should be fine! :)

like Xiek... but even more so, ive ran my car countless times on the track and have met few problems, none has stranded me at the side of the road other than a blow out

minis are getting alot better in reliability than ever before... so you can sleep easy

-Herman

kavatski
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome - figured I should stop lurking and join now that I\'m actually going to be driving one.

lilcoopr wrote:

It\'ll be ok, don\'t worry. There are new owners now and there have been many changes since I left. Who was your sales person?? Just curious tis all :)

I dealt with Nikki, do you know her? Actually so far I\'ve been really happy with the sales side of it. Got a great deal with no hassle. Hopefully the car lives up to all the hype when I pick it up later. :)

lilcoopr
04-10-2008, 05:41 PM
kavatski wrote:

Thanks for the welcome - figured I should stop lurking and join now that I\'m actually going to be driving one.

lilcoopr wrote:

I dealt with Nikki, do you know her? Actually so far I\'ve been really happy with the sales side of it. Got a great deal with no hassle. Hopefully the car lives up to all the hype when I pick it up later. :)

Yeah I know her!! Not too well but we met a few times. She started right abouts when I transferred to MINI Durham, but I met her in Ashley\'s office when she was being hired. (Is Ashley still there?) I know she has the Lightning Blue Cooper S all done up like the one in the ad!! I\'m happy things went well for you so far!! :cheer:

supercuper
04-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Last time I checked, Ashley was still there. So many other new faces though.

ltlgil
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
.mini/ bmw / gave us a new car after the lawers sent letters

skinnymini
04-10-2008, 10:32 PM
honestly i think after all the trouble ive been through i should be compensated some how .....
how did u go about getting a new car?

supercuper
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
ltlgil wrote:

.mini/ bmw / gave us a new car after the lawers sent letters

I am amazed that you were able to get a new car. I had a legitimate claim, seriously 186 service days in two years, and that was never an option for me. I even tried to get into another used MINI, no luck there either. I\'m at the point now where I\'m almost expecting things to go wrong. Touch, so far there have been a few issues, but none I\'m particularly woried about. I love my too much to worry.

kania
04-10-2008, 11:26 PM
i know a good shop to take your car, when u have problems with it i have a 03 cooper s and its runs mint never had any problems with it

mk1mini
04-11-2008, 12:51 AM
kania wrote:

i know a good shop to take your car, when u have problems with it i have a 03 cooper s and its runs mint never had any problems with it

Care to tell me your shop that is good to your Mini :woohoo:

Thanks

Pooks
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I too am very interested in hearing about this shop!

azureus
04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Not to be a prick, but i\'ve got to questions.
1) why would anyone ever buy a demo, if you ever seem me drive a demo you would never purchase one ever again.
2)Why do you keep returning to mini waterloo? if they keep doinga *@$%*@$%*@$%*@$%ty job take it somewhere else

skinnymini
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks chrissy .. hope you feel better ... elie is helping me out ..... do u know him?