PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tire dressing

leaf_fan_1988
06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I tried Wal-Mart's generic brand of tire dressing and it's probably one of my favorites. For $3 it's probably the cheapest option, but better than the $15 stuff I've tried, and I think I've tried them all.

It's not glossy, so your tires aren't shinier than your paint.
It doesn't leave a greasy film that dust and dirt sticks to.
The over spray doesn't stain your driveway - also means you have to reapply it to your tires after it rains.
I always spray it at night, so it's more than dry the next morning and therefore it doesn't sling off onto my car, so I can't comment on that.

$3 for tire shine that looks good, you can't go wrong.

Don't waste your time with their window cleaner. Their interior cleaner stuff for the dash isn't as impressive but it's better than nothing.

If anyone knows of a better product, or would recommend any detailing products, let me know. I've probably tried them all, all except autoglym and their over priced crap.

r52
06-10-2014, 05:50 PM
How can you say Autoglym is crap without trying it?

leaf_fan_1988
06-10-2014, 05:57 PM
"Crap" was a synonym for "stuff," rather than an adjective.

MCSRallye
06-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Last time I talked to Sunny from Go Clean said he was testing two new products for tires and wheels (to address the brake dust issue). Maybe give him a ring?

KissMyS
06-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I swear by meguiars stuff. Thats pretty much all I use. Their quik interior detailer is really good because it doesnt leave it feeling greasy like armourall. I also really like the gold class soap because it doesnt strip your wax. I got one of their dual action polishers and spent an entire day compounding, polishing, and waxing. Made my paint mint.

leaf_fan_1988
06-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I've been using Go Clean since they first appeared on dragons den, their logo used to be a mini Cooper, a first gen mini.

There's no avoiding brake dust, only thing you can do is get harder pads. Using a non carnauba based wax like nu finish will prevent it from sticking to your wheels so much. I'll try they're new stuff when it's available, they're old stuff was mediocre.

KissMyS
06-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Nu finish is actually just a polish. It contains no wax. Polish just removes scratches/swirls, wax seals and protects. Carnauba waxes add more shine but wear off sooner. Synthetic waxes don't add as much shine but last longer.

Look for a wheel specific wax. They are like any other wax except they have a higher melting point so brake dust has a harder time penetrating.

mikeyt
06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I swear by meguiars stuff. Thats pretty much all I use. Their quik interior detailer is really good because it doesnt leave it feeling greasy like armourall. I also really like the gold class soap because it doesnt strip your wax. I got one of their dual action polishers and spent an entire day compounding, polishing, and waxing. Made my paint mint.

I like the Meguiars stuff too, particularly the quik detailer products such as the Ultimate Quik Wax spray.