PDA

View Full Version : OVERHEATING PROBLEM

theprezzz77
04-27-2008, 03:43 AM
As those at the meet already know, I am having an overheating problem...

This happens almost simultaneously with swapping my stock intake with the K&N Typhoon Intake. Now would this simply be something out of coincidence, or is the intake change causing this to happen.

I actually first noticed driving through a car wash when the temperature gauge was at its hottest. I inspected it upon leaving the wash, and noticed the reservoir for the coolant was still at the normal level, and the gauge, while idling, came down to normal temperatures.

When I arrived home, I decided to check again to see the coolant in the reservoir bubbling, and after shutting off the car and letting it cool down, took a lot again to see coolant sitting just barely at the bottom. My neighbour topped it up for me, and things seemed to be okay until we were all leaving the meet tonight, and saw once again it was below the minimum line, which, for those who were there saw, filled the tank with water.

Now this is where im currently at:
I drove all the way from the meet to North York, and although the temp gauge showed it JUST above mid point temperature (normally sits near the bottom of the middle line on the gauge), the temperature kept there for the whole way, didnt rise whatsoever.

Being somewhat of an illerate to car repair and troubleshooting (ask Chrissy) I am wondering where i go from here, be it bringing the car to the dealership, an alternative means of repairing and diagnosing it, or merely even just letting it run its course and see what happens, and if i choose this last option, what are the signs to know that maybe its okay??

Any help is appreciated, and sorry for writing the bible for a post,

Dino

BANZAI
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM
One thing that you can do is to try to find out where the coolant is going or rather, comming from :blink: . I know it sounds obvious, but try this.

Find a dry place that you can leave the car for an hour or so. Run the car to normal temps. Place some paper wipes (the kitchen ones)on the ground and then park the car with the engine over the wipes. Leave it to leak :dry: and check back in an hour or so.

Check under the car and see if there is any fluid:( . If there is, try to trace it up to where it is comming from. You could also check for wetness with another paper towel in the engine compartment under the coolant reservoir (these have been known to crack).

If you are definately loosing fluid, there should be some wetness in the engine compartment somewhere. It is unlikely that your new intake is causing the problem. One thing that I would seriously consider is keeping a jug of coolant in the car for top ups.

CAUTION: THE COOLANT IS HOT AND CHECKING THE LEVEL COULD CAUSE NASTY BURNS IF YOU DON\'T TAKE CARE TO SLOWLY RELEASE ANY PRESSURE FIRST BEFORE FULLY REMOVING THE CAP ON YOUR EXPANSION TANK

Paul

def2thaworld
04-27-2008, 08:59 PM
how man KM\'s on the car?

Xiek
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I would get it pressure tested...

but be sure that they place doing the testing actually has a pressure tester that will fit your car.. I heard that dealerships were charging for a pressure test, but doing a visual cause they did not have the equipment.

If it hold pressure, at idle, no leaks outside, there is another chemical test that some shops can do... it tests for exhaust gases coming from your coolant system, this will help them know if you have an internal leak...

(hope the leak is external)

daisiu
04-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I had the same problem with my 2006 mini cooper. I had to bring it back to the dealership 3 times within 2 months. Funny thing is, they don\'t even know what\'s wrong. I really got me frustrated when the dealership told me to \'monitor the coolant level\' every so often. Because for some reason, the coolant drains and it\'s nowhere to be found.

theprezzz77
04-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I probably should have mentioned that a few months ago, i experienced a pressure problem with my engine coolant assembly, and downtown BMW/Mini Service changed my reservoir as well as some tubes and whatnot...if this is a related problem, will they warranty the work they did for it??

However when this previous problem occurred, the engine coolant came out of the reservoir and all over my garage, this time absolutely nothing.

Dino

GordonD
04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
check your fuses to make sure the fan has not blown - easily happens at it can either get jammed with debris or just rust.

Overheating won\'t happen when the car is moving only stopped or heavy traffic if that\'s it

BANZAI
04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
GordonD wrote:

check your fuses to make sure the fan has not blown - easily happens at it can either get jammed with debris or just rust.

Overheating won\'t happen when the car is moving only stopped or heavy traffic if that\'s it

True ... good point, never thought of that one.

theprezzz77
04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I opened up the bonnet, pulled off the fuse box cap, checked the diagram and saw about 4-5 fuses for a fan....as im incapable of precisely working on cars, can someone tell me which one(s) it is???

I removed a big green one (one of 4)from the centre of the fuse map, but im not sure if it was a fuse or not as it was a green cube shape with what looks to be 5 prongs that would go into a wall outlet...hahahaha

and you are right, it did seem to only overheat when the car wasnt in motion, but would that explain why the reservoir isnt holding any of the coolant and it isnt noticable leaking anywhere??

Dino

def2thaworld
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
if it was a cube with multiple prongs, that would be a Relay. Fuses are only 2 pronged. Try checking all of them, no harm in pulling and replacing them as long as the car is off.

theprezzz77
04-30-2008, 02:09 AM
UPDATE: Well i drove from my office in Toronto to my mom\'s house in Mississauga to visit her..before i left, the reservoir showed about a cm below the max line of coolant, the temp gauge showed just above half (used to sit just below half) and when i got there, shut off the car, opened the bonnet, it showed OVER the max line and the temp gauge was still just a touch above half...

any input?? :P lol

def2thaworld
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
the reservoir is going to have a variable level. That\'s the overflow for the coolant system. it won\'t stay steady at any one point, but there shouldn\'t be any major drops in it either. so if after the drive from Toronto to Mississauga, the level raised from slightly below the MAX mark, to slightly over, there should be no problems with that.

as for the temp gauge being slightly above half, I\'m not sure with the mini, but in most cars, that is normal, and there should be nothing to worry about there. if it goes higher than that, there is possible cause for concern.

did you manage to check any of the fuses? if so, were any burnt out?

GordonD
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I would just pull every one (I have a vague memory it\'s #15 but??) and check that there are none blown. You can see that by looking at the top and if there\'s a break . .

theprezzz77
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
When is that fan suppose to turn on?? I start the car, its off, i took it for a HARD toot up and down Erin Mills Pkwy, occasionally checking, and its off, and back in the driveway its off....

Today when getting to work, i checked the reservoir tank and it was about 2 cm ABOVE the max line...is that just because of our colder temperature now??

MINI_Georgian
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Actually sounds to me like the pusher fan relay. Unfortunately, it is included as part of the whole assembly and is not replaceable separately. That being said, it could be half a dozen other things too. Without proper diagnosis it\'s really anyone\'s guess. Could be a thermal switch. Is there any coolant leaking anywhere aside from the overflow?

As for the level. Remember, it is called an expansion tank. When coolant heats up it expands and the thermostat is open. So if it\'s really hot it will expand into the tank and it will look overfull. When it\'s kinda hot, then the themo may be open and allowing for more coolant into the block so it may look less full. When it\'s cold the thermo is closed and depending on where the coolant is settled in the engine it may read a different level on the tank. You\'ll notice that most coolant reservoirs don\'t have mins and max. They have a cold and hot level. This is a general guideline level of where the max level should come to when filling (Cold/Min) and expanded to when hot (Hot/Max).

Cheers,
Jason.

theprezzz77
04-30-2008, 11:22 PM
GordonD- it looks like ur the winner!!!! lol

I checked all of my fuses this afternoon to notice that one of the 5amp fuses was blown, and although i wasnt sure if this was for the fan, it appears that my car is running cooler than it was before and (keeping my fingers crossed) remains that way....

Haven\'t personally seen the fan go on yet, but then again, with this colder weather we are experiencing and from the lack of the car just sitting whilst running, i didnt expect to see it anyways...

Thanks for all of u who took the time out to help out with my debacle...

Dino

GordonD
05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Had this happen to me so no genious here

The fan is most likely to come on (if it\'s working properly) when you turn the car off after a hard run. I am pretty sure it will never work while the car is moving - except in heavy traffic when the a/c is in use - due to airflow.