PDA

View Full Version : Removing Polish Residue from Black Trim

Cine
06-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I polished my car and got a bit on some of the black trim around the wheel wells. Just wondering what can be used to get it off?
Thanks!
Nelson

element
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
a brush (toothbrush will do it) will remove the dry polish. i usually go over the whole car to get rid of any that is stuck on trim/cracks

Mothers also has a product called back to black which i use on the trim, but brush it first and then us this.

phil.

dvesh
06-02-2008, 01:57 PM
I\'ve used back to black also, works quiet well. I\'ll have to try the toothbrush though, see what that gets off before the back to black.

Thanks.

kania
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
i also use back to back,,,, but somtimes it drys on really good sooo i use wd40 cleans it off really good then i go over with back to black

kyriian
06-02-2008, 09:36 PM
back to black works for awhile but it wont really remove it... as phil said, toothbrush, just be really careful about those bristles as they can really scratch your paint

or you can try the unorthodox peanut butter (not chunky) and no, im not delusional, i have tried it before and its the best method to permanently remove white residue on the black plastic

-Herman

Cine
06-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Thanks Everyone,
I use Back to Black, but it\'s not getting rid of some of the white marks. So Herman, do you use the toothbrush with the peanut butter? I\'m guessing just use it like a cleaning paste, then just wash it away with soap and water?

kyriian
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Cine wrote:

Thanks Everyone,
I use Back to Black, but it\'s not getting rid of some of the white marks. So Herman, do you use the toothbrush with the peanut butter? I\'m guessing just use it like a cleaning paste, then just wash it away with soap and water?

that\'s what i do... to be honest if you just wipe it the peanut butter leaves a very nice shine on the plastic, just be careful of wildlife coming up to lick your trim!

as i said before though... the key is watch the paint very carefully... toothbrush can easily scratch the paint

-Herman

Xiek
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
The best thing I have found is BLACK WOW.

It is great, and only takes a bit to do the entire vehicle, the sheen lasts about a month.

mymini07
06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I just learned how to wax my car and have some white wax/polish residue on the black plastic trim as well.

Thanks for the toothbrush/peanutbutter tip!

;)