PDA

View Full Version : Clutch squeaky

Fei
06-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Three weeks ago my clutch started to develop some squeaky feeling with squeaky noise when pressing it or letting out. There is extra resistance and non-linear feeling, requiring some extra effort to press it. The rest seems fine so far. Mileage is 88k. This is both when car is cold or hot.

The closest thing that might relate to it is, when I was at Dunville, the brake fluid overflowed and made a small mess. I sucked out the extra fluid though.

Can someone give me an idea? Slave cylinder? Throw-out bearing? Mosport is coming up, I don\'t know if this is an issue and can be fixed in time before causing major repairs.

Fei
06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Took it to mini vaughn and was told that it\'s the throwout bearing. Transmission needs to be dropped and the quoted cost is $1200 for labor, and $400 for a new OEM clutch.

My 03 mini cooper S is 89K and 5 days before its 5th birthday. I feel a bit upset about the tranny reliability. The clutch pedal was quite stiff from the first day of delivery. Now it\'s stiffer with squeaking sound after warmed up. I\'m thinking if that was a defect?

I\'m not sure why the tranny just broke in 89K km. If I were to put a new OEM clutch in, with its plastic throwout bearing, will it break quickly again?

I was thinking about the possibility of putting an LSD in, but mini vaughn said that they don\'t open transmission.

Please give me opinions.

Fei
06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
No ideas?

I thought LSD should be done with clutch replacement, but how come Mini Vaughn does not open tranny?

Which clutch/flywheel combo should I go with? I want something that\'s more durable.

Karateman
06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
If I were you, I\'d try Mr. Transmission. I had them replace my clutch (and tranny) on my former GTi and Jetta. Prices were far better than at dealers.

I\'ve only been a Mini owner for about 2 months and I am reading and hearing alot of horror stories on Mini parts and repair costs!

Dang good thing I mainly drive it on Sundays to save on wear.

minibob
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
hi fei
check jan rmw for the clutch.i just bought light flywheelclutch pressure plateand bearing for $860.check dan for install.he will give u a good deal.i think he is in texas right now.email me if u need to know more

minibob

Fei
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the information. Calling around... will follow up.

BANZAI
06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Try giving ELEMENT a PM on this one too. I believe he repalced his own and did the LSD at the same time.

Paul

gliff
08-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Fei,

So what ended up happening to your car? I\'m having the exact same problem with mine.. It\'s squeaking when when I push the pedal in or let it out. Plus, its lost that smooth feel that it once had, and is now somewhat jerky.

I made an appointment for next Monday to get it looked at. I hope that its still under warranty, as its just shy of two years old.

Thanks,

Dave

Fei
08-20-2008, 02:58 AM
gliff wrote:

Hi Fei,

So what ended up happening to your car? I\'m having the exact same problem with mine.. It\'s squeaking when when I push the pedal in or let it out. Plus, its lost that smooth feel that it once had, and is now somewhat jerky.

I made an appointment for next Monday to get it looked at. I hope that its still under warranty, as its just shy of two years old.

Thanks,

Dave

It\'s most like the release bearing. You should feel lucky that you are within the warranty.

TheItalianJob
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I can do the clutch install... and the LSD install if you choose. Look at my gallery where i have pics of an install job i did for miniBob. I also did my clutch and LSD. There are pics of the tranny apart to put the LSD in and some pics of his clutch that bloowed up. I am ok with half of what dealers charge. :)

-daniel

gliff
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Just an update...

I took my car into the dealer Monday. It must not have been the same problem as Fei\'s.

They pulled off that panel just under the steering wheel and oiled the hinge that is connected to the clutch. That helped a little, but didn\'t fix it.

So then they bled the hydraulic fluid in the slave cylinder and checked for a leak. They didn\'t find a leak, but after that was changed, the clutch felt like new. So they figure that air got into the system some how. I have no idea how that happened, but I\'m just happy that it\'s fixed. :) Hope it stays fixed. *fingers-crossed*

I do have to leave my car out in the winter. I wonder if that played a factor, at all?

Fei
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
When you feel the squeaky clutch, is it after the car is warmed up, or always even when car has been sitting there for a night?

gliff
08-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I feel it even when the car is off.. but it\'s normally more prominent after I\'ve used it for a bit.

Pooks
08-27-2008, 07:20 PM
TheItalianJob wrote:

I can do the clutch install... and the LSD install if you choose. Look at my gallery where i have pics of an install job i did for miniBob. I also did my clutch and LSD. There are pics of the tranny apart to put the LSD in and some pics of his clutch that bloowed up. I am ok with half of what dealers charge. :)

-daniel

Wow that\'s good to know! Do you do other jobs like belt replacements and such??? Where are you located? I will defineatly keep you in mind when such things occur!

Fei
08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
gliff wrote:

I feel it even when the car is off.. but it\'s normally more prominent after I\'ve used it for a bit.

So it\'s a different symptom, and that your master/slave brake cylinder went south. :)

Woobn8r
09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
My \'03 MCS has been like this since I bought it in February....dealer said it was stiff from sitting....(full of Sh*t)...and I got him to pay for ther waterpump leak so I didn\'t push this.

Mine has this feeling/noise all the time whether it\'s been run or not on/off doesn\'t matter. I think it is either the slave or the t/o bearing....

Since my car is not my daily driver..I\'ll let it fail, then fix it.

S.

zone555
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Just booked an appointment to have this issue looked at. My clutch is stiff and squeaky when the car is on or off, and it doesn\'t matter if it\'s warm or cold.

I even told them to pre-book a rental car for me, but I fear they have to order parts after the diagnosis and will have to go back to the dealer when the parts arrive.

It\'s an 05 MCS with 62k, under warranty. This issue probably came up several months ago, and it never really bothered me until now. The clutch is now downright heavy, and fairly uncomfortable to drive at times.

Will post an update after the appointment (Oct 6, after my vacation).